The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Steering Issues

Okay guys let me give you the lowdown and then I'll ask my question:

-72 2wd Blazer
-20's up front/22's in the rear
-Factory Control Arms, but ALL NEW Suspension Components--Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Both Control Arm Shafts, etc.
-Air Bags
-It is not a factory Power Steering Blazer, so I'm using a 73-87 PS Gear Box.

My steering is WAY too sensitive. It's almost borderline too dangerous to drive. It's like my front wheels are fighting each other. I've had 3 or 4, I forget now, alignments and it still isn't right. I had my last alignment yesterday and watched them do it and everything lined up perfect before they tightened it down. The toe was good and the caster was good. I heard that if if you tighten your gear box down it will help, but do not know if that is correct or not.

Any help from you guys that have had any issues with this is appreciated. Trying to get to the Nashville Goodguys this weekend and don't want to be gripping the steering wheel in fear all the way down there.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Steering Issues

I am pondering your problem. Sounds as if it's in the gear box. Maybe a quick ratio box? And too sensitive allowing you to over steer?

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

What size of pulley do you have on your powersteering pump? Could it be generating to much pressure. I know they have a pressure relief valve, but maybe it's not working. Just some suggestions.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
C10 Club Tennessee

Rob, it's just the standard pulley size. I had the same setup on my silver stepside which had the same specs as above except for it was drop springs instead of bags.

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
C10 Club Tennessee

has anyone else heard that about tightening the gear box??

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 06-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
Rob, it's just the standard pulley size. I had the same setup on my silver stepside which had the same specs as above except for it was drop springs instead of bags.
Then it's probably in the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
has anyone else heard that about tightening the gear box??
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. How old is the gearbox?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

B yeah you can tighten the gear box....On the Top never Mine Pick up your phone....
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
mclairmo

Tightening the steering gear box may make this problem worse, unless it is really loose and worn out. Overtightening it will cause it to wear out quicker. Do the following with the front tires on the gound and then off the ground. Turn the steering wheel and have someone watch the pitman arm. Steering wheel should move just a little before the pitman arm starts to move. Also, look at the idler arms. These are both very high wear items. If the pitman arm or and/or idler arm was not replaced, then this is likely the problem. However, I'm still not sure what the problem is from your explanation. Does the car turn too quickly with very little steering effort or is the front end just hard to control in general? I'm wondering if the large front wheels/tires may have some role in this issue. If the pitman arm and idler arm are new and tight, then the ultimate solution may be a new/rebuilt steering box with a standard ratio. My 67 Camaro had this same problem you describe and it was a very worn out pitman arm that was the cause. My steering wheel was loose and easy to turn but the wheels would not turn right away.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
powell72

It sounds to me like the pressure valve in the pump is to sensitive. RB's obsolete sold a valve and spring kit for GM pumps but I don't know if they're still around?? www.billshotrodshop.com sells an adjustable kit for GM pumps, They're for getting your pump dialed in when using a GM pump and MII rack, but I don't know why it wouldn't work in your case.

Just my $.02 on your issue, and BTW, the adjusting nut on the box is to tighten them up when they get loose, so definitely don't do that.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
ebfabman

where was the caster set?
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote