The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
kyfig70c20

Online Insurance/70 C20 Newbie Intro

Newbie here. I am in the process of getting my old truck going again and will certainly have lots of questions.

Truck: 70 C20 with 59,000 original miles. 350, leaf springs, auto, power steering and brakes, swingout camper mirrors and wiring.

History: My grandfather bought new in 1970. It carried an 11 foot Dreamer Truck Camper for about 15 years until the camper rotted away. My dad inherited it and then passed it down to me. We used to borrow the truck and camper when I was younger for vacations. The truck carried the camper out to Washington state from Kentucky and back in the early 70's. I parked the truck in 2000 because everytime I went to drive it I had to do something to it; tighten the belt, add tranny fluid etc.

Update: Truck has been in the barn since 2000. In the past few weeks, I drained the gas, put some fresh in and it started right up. (I was quite shocked.) I have since changed the antifreeze and the oil and let it run for awhile and everything seems "OK". It idles great but needs feathered in order take gas- accelerator pump likely. It has 4 flat tires but I was able to back the truck out of the barn and drive back in. I will be changing out the 9.50X16.5's and putting on some 16's this weekend. I am going to put on new brake shoes, check the lines and have the tranny gone over.

I will add some pics once I get the barn dust off of her. The only thing I have used the truck for in recent years is a prop for pictures. See below.

My First Question: I want to insure and license and was looking at Hagerty online for about $130 a year. Anyone using this?

Here's a sneak peek until more pics available.

Last edited by kyfig70c20; 08-14-2009 at 11:36 AM.
kyfig70c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Rack Man

Re: Online Insurance/70 C20 Newbie Intro

Very Cool...love to see young people into these trucks...And a cool family history of it to boot!....

Thats a smoking deal from Hagerty...a lot of classic car & truck owners use them....Grundy is another biggie (thats who I use).....

Oh and I agree about the culprit being the accelerator pump....easy fix!

Good luck with the truck!

Last edited by Rack Man; 08-14-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
k2rm

I just insured my 70 C20 yesterday with Hagerty. Great experience working with them. I just had to relay specifics about the truck through my current Allstate agent, who then set up the policy with Hagerty. Allstate would not insure the truck for the value of my restoration, but Hagerty did since they specialize in classics. They just required two pictures to justify the collision coverage I was requesting. This was the only part of my build that came in at a lower cost than I expected.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Gumby'sC20

Props for being young and having a taste and appreciation for these trucks. They really are wonderful icons to own.

I personally have mine insured with Progressive and it costs me about $75/mo with a horribly rough driving record (oh the lessons learned).
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
kyfig70c20

I am 45 so I was 6 when Grandpa bought the truck but I remember when he got it very well. I hope my daughters in the pics take an interst in the old truck so I can pass it down to them some day.

I am going with the Hagerty. My current company wouldn't add the truck under my existing policy because I already have 4 vehicles. Adding the truck by itsel would cost me $600+. I will have to get the truck cleaned up so that I can submit the three pics they request.

Last edited by kyfig70c20; 08-14-2009 at 02:17 PM.
kyfig70c20 is offline   Reply With Quote