The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #26
Garagedude

Re: What is the worse thing you done to yourself working on your truck?

A couple of years back at shop, I went to change the head on the cutting torch , and grabbed the head to unscrew it, what I didn't realize was somebody just used it, I got a 3rd degree burn in the shape of the torch head on my hand, that was probably the worst burn I have ever gotten.
Garagedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #27
jdfrmnt

ran myself over working on my dodge army truck went to start it thought it was out of gear reached in hit the starter buton and found out real quick it was in reverse truck started door open and wham on my but front tire over my leg and the trck stoped real nice agenst the house now thats good times
jdfrmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #28
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I got a burn from my wrist to my elbow about an inch and a half wide while changing the oil and pressed my whole arm against the muffler.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 11-17-2008 at 10:38 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #29
bmeredith
beer 1st, work 2nd

while i was tearing apart a 71 with front end damage, the core support jammed in with the fenders. while i was loosening up it's body mounts it sprung loose, fell over, and struck me in the face. of course the battery was still attached so it had some weight to it and some force behind it when it came loose from the bent up fenders. it split me eyebrow open from nose to temple. i drove myself to my buddies vet clinic and he used a tube of glue to close it up.
bmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #30
theyammieguy
accepting donations

I'll add my list of injuries. Most if not all occured at work.

Cut the end of my left index finger while installing an axle in a peterbilt,

Removed a hot headlight on a peterbilt and the bulb hit some water, exploded in my eye.

Welded a pump bracket, pulled my hood up and the slag popped off and hit me in the eye.

Grinding a bracket I made for a depth finder and it slipped and my knuckle went into the grinder with all my weight. Grinded down to the bone.

Welding an aluminum frame on a hopper trailer upside down and some of the weld dripped off. it was winter and I had my sleeves rolled down and gloves on. It went down my sleeve and when I tried to shake it out it went in my glove.

Grinded something in the vise and had some of the metal go in my eye. Was wearing safety glasses. Took three doctors to dig it out.

Under a trailer and rust fell in my eye. Was wearing safety glasses.

Swinging my BFH at some wheel studs on a mack, missed and hit my knee.

Removing an upper coupler on a tanker trailer and it fell hitting my pinky. Think it chipped a bone. Still hurts.

See my builds here>http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n238/nickrp_2006/

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
David Crockett
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #31
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

when I was swapping out the 1" coils spring to 3" springs on my truck I didn't have a jack under the lower control arm, and the coil spring came flying at my face lucky I dodged it, and when I was replacing the power window motor, I had the wind rolled up and I had my fingers in the scissor part of the regulator and the glass came down a coupe of inches and regulator squish my finger, luckily my dad was there to help get my finger's out, my figures were cut and bruised

Last edited by flamingbig10; 04-08-2009 at 01:23 AM.
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #32
mbgmike

One time I was trouble shooting wiring on an old ford truck. I used an old sewing needle to poke into a wire and i accidentally grounded it out on the metal dash. It burnt itself into my index finger and I of course stuck it in my mouth to pull it out. It probably was not the worst thing i did but its what came to mind
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #33
dammitmitchell
the pollock

politlely removed the end of my finger with a fram oil filter
came back from the ER and went back to work,,,

got battery acid on my hootus once... (was wearing pants!)
the battery fell off the tray and landed on my belts cut a hole in the battery.... hole poured acid on my crotch

set truck and myself on fire... not once but three times..

HOUSE SLIPPERS! and trucks dont mix..
flipped backwards once off the front end because of house slippers..
did the splits before because of them..
and various other "little things"

OH! and if you slam your fingers into the door.. it realllly suck trying to get them out all by yourself..
havent done that in a long time..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #34
VH Coachworks

Have done all the usual and "mistake" injurys. But probally one of the better ones was when I was doing a daddo cut on the table saw, I don't know what I was thinking but I used the rip fence. The board jammed and took my thumb and my ring finger into the blade. It took a nice sized chunk out of the bottom of my thumb and cut straight through the nail and down to the bone all the way to the knuckle. Long story short: 4 1/2 hours and 5 stitches (ring finger), I was back at it in the shop workin on my 67'!
VH Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #35
larry may

Letting someone help work on it one time.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
CoggedBelt75

Ran the valves cold one day using a ratcheting torque wrench in the top pulley to roll it over instead of bumping the starter. Got side tracked for a few hours and finally got back to button everything back up. Hooked up the timing light and got into position leaning over the fender and told my son-in-law to fire it up. And then darkness. I kinda forgot to remove the wrench. Glad it didn't start on the first hit and he had quick reflexes with the key. Beside all the stars and blood, no concussion. Lucky I guess. Now, before my hand leaves the wrench, it is pulled out of the pulley. This is for illustrative purposes only, do not try this at home....
Attached Images

CoggedBelt75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #37
ghettoluxury

Dropped a gas tank that was half full and sloshed gas in my ear, couldn't hear out of my left for a week. The worst thin I have done thought is give myself welders flash, man feeling like you have sand in your eyes and not being able to see anything is the worst feeling in the world.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #38
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

A few Saturday's ago I was firing off the newly rebuilt 283 for the cam break-in and the choke stuck - causing the RPM to go too high, so I took a swipe at the linkage (don't ask me for the thought process involved here, because there was none) and somehow my right thumb went into the fan.

Glad it was the six blade aluminum unit and not the heavy 4-blade original, and it shaved off all the skin on one side of the sacrificial digit like one of those roast beef sandwich slicing machines.

Pulled the HEI hot-wire, wrapped some gauze around the bloody thing and then circled it with blue masking tape - prior to breaking in my new cam.

I mean, hey, it's a new $2,000 engine after all.

Mac.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #39
jbgroby

After I dismantled an old truck for an off frame, I kept telling myself that I should cover and tape up the end of the muffler because of the sharp edge, which I kept forgetting to do of course. One day I walked behind the truck past the muffler edge, did not even feel the muffler slice into and completly through the layer of skin mid calf on my left leg.

About 1-2 minutes later I felt my left foot seem stickly wet in my shoe, looked down and saw the biggest damn puddle of blood I've even seen, and what was worse it was comming from ME! I actualy made bloodly footprints on the garage floor. - COOL sort of, as long as it ain't your BLOOD!

I must have clipped a nice size vein because it filled up the shoe, soaked the sock and was on the floor. I was by myself and didn't panic, grabbed the handful of "Blue Shop Towles" and a roll of masking tape, made a quick bandage, and wrapped the hell out of it.

I hobbled inside and grabbed a ziplock, filled it with ice put that on top and sat on the chair with the legs up and starting watching TV and must have feel asleep.

About an hour or so later Dee comes home, parks in the garage, sees the blood and ran in the house to call 911. Saw me sleeping, and promptly scared the s**t out of me by screaming me out of sound sleep to see if I was still alive and to ask where the "Will" was? You know in case something happened?

I should have went to the hospital and got stiches. But hell, all it left me was a nice battle scar for Cruise Nites and a quart low. YES I TAPED THE DAMN MUFFLER TIP THAT EVENING, AFTER I FILED THE EDGE OFF SOME!

I took the next day off to build back up a few red blood cells and bought a half way decent first aid kit for the workbench.

Jake

Last edited by jbgroby; 07-01-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: change wording
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #40
bac1755

This weekend I was tearing apart the old motor i recently took out of my truck. It was bolted to the motor stand and I was pulling the heads one of the heads didn't have the dowel pins in it, when I unbolted it it slid off and landed on my left foot and broke all the metatarsal bones. It hurts just thinking about walking.

Last edited by bac1755; 07-01-2009 at 10:15 AM.
bac1755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #41
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Friends are friends so while my buddy was at work I chemically stripped the paint off his car while wearing heavy rubber gloves. It took the whole day and at the end I guess I was tired cause my hands were tingling. Next Morning while working I couldn't hold the hammer hard enough it kept slipping. Water blisters began to form and I thought to myself what a sissy I must be for getting blisters. Couple of hours later at the hospital the Doctor explained that if not for my callous skin I might have had to have my hands amputated. Till this day sensitive to heat and cold and my hands won't callous. Had to explain to U.S. Customs why they couldn't get a decent finger print for my F.A.S.T. card.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #42
nvrsatisfied

so i am trying to mount a cup bracket up by myself on my 4x4, the sub frame is about 6' tall and it is becoming a pain the arse. so with one hand holding the 8lbs cup bracket and trying to put in place and turn the "C" clamp with the other hand and get it all together, i start to become very edgeeee. i grab on to the sub frame and KAPOW a nice bite from stick welder let me know that it was still there and ready to go, I HATE BEING SHOCKED IT MAKES ME THE MADDEST S.O.B THAT YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO BE MESSING WITH. instantly i drop/throw the cup bracket, it then falls onto the end of rockwell hub (which i had kind of dummy held up cause i was in the process the night before of flipping them) knocking off the what felt like 800lbs hub onto the top of my foot. i fall/jump/stumble backwards from all of this and get clipped by my 52" tire laying on the ground, i fall into the center where i came to a stop. so with a hurt foot, PO'ed from being shocked and a scraped lower back from falling into the center of the rim, i sat there with a thought of WTF just happened to me and why. i laughed, i cried, i got up, walked away and sat down and drank a few cold beers till i figured out a better plan..............i hate being accident proned and yes this stuff happens to me all the damn time, don't even know why i try ,,,,,,,oh wait it's because i love this damn 71' truck

l8r

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #43
Tater
Cradle Robber

One of these days I'm going to quit standing on a bucket while working on my truck.I think I'm gonna have to break a rib before I learn my lesson.I'm a hard learner

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #44
truckdude239

I slit my wrist open when i was trying to convertto power brakes i had 10 stickes in my wrist

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #45
Northern lights

I was putting a tape deck in my '78 chevy 4X4 and was useing a 4-7/8" folding Buck knife to trim the plastic face plate to get a perfect fit. I had thrown the knife on the seat with the other tools and thought I was done. Looking real close I could see that the deck was not quite square with the world, it was in perhaps 1/32" more on one side than the other. In order to make the appropriate adjustement required that the nuts on the control posts be loosened and adjusted. I laid on the seat and slid under the steering wheel to reach under the dash to adjust one of the inner nuts an 1/8 turn or so then slid back out from under the steering wheel. Apparently, when I had tossed the Buck knife on the seat, it landed with the butt of the handle against the back of the seat and the blade pointing straight forward. As I slid out from under the steering wheel, the knife went into my back. I lifted myself off the seat by the steering wheel and moved forward and THOUGHT I felt the knife fall out but was unsure. I hugged the wheel to stay off the seat (didn't want to stab myself AGAIN!) and made my way out from under the wheel and my wife took me in for stitches. The hospital staff had some rather pointed questions for my wife as they weren't convinced that I had actually stabbed MYSELF in the back. I Later discovered that the knife had gone in the full 4-7/8" right to the handle. I quipped to the doctor that "It's OK, it's a long way from the heart". He said, "Actually no, if it hadn't glanced off your shoulder blade it would have gone right in the heart".
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #46
geezer#99

How about another crazy canuck story.
While removing a rearend from a 78 chevy truck to use in a 56 Chev 1/2 ton project I split open my bald old forehead when the u-bolt snapped off due to the long breaker bar and socket I was using. Wacked my head on the rusty old fender. It was about 20 below F that day. Blood ran down both sides of my head around my ears onto my winter jacket. Due to the cold it froze off the wound. Didn't know what a mess I was till I went back to the house to warm up and the wife started freaking at the mess I was in. Cleaned up and went back out to get it finished. If you don't bleed a little when you're working on old iron it's not a good day.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #47
dammitmitchell
the pollock

here's my latest...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #48
70rs/ss

^^^Did ya get hungry or something??^^^^ J/K that looks like it hurt!?
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote