The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Roadhammer

Differnt fly wheel for a TH400?

I pulled the tranny and clutch off the engine and the torque converter doesnt look like it bolts right up...would I need a different flywheel?

I really know next to nothing about this sort of thing.

Jory

Help...
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
198plus

Re: Differnt fly wheel for a TH400?

You will have to change flywheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
I pulled the tranny and clutch off the engine and the torque converter doesnt look like it bolts right up...would I need a different flywheel?

I really know next to nothing about this sort of thing.

Jory

Help...
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

You're not providing much information to go on. What year and engine are you dealing with and what did the T400 come out of. There are basically two size of flywheels and flexplates, 153 tooth and 168 tooth. If you go to a website like Summitracing and search under flexplates, they are organized by application. This spells out what year and size engine each type fits.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Eagar1

Your MT had a flywheel, your TH400 requires a flexplate, and usually it doesnt matter which flexplate you use as long as you can mount the starter on your block that matches it. I believe the smaller tooth uses the straight across bolt holes starter mount and the larger tooth uses the offset mounting. I know this was discussed on another thread but I can't remember which one.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Ron pretty well summed it up.....sounds like you will need a flexplate. More than likely a 168 tooth one. Get one with the same tooth count as the flywheel that is on it now so you don't need to get another starter. Plus when you do need a starter you just need to ask for one for a '70 Chevy C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagar1 View Post
Your MT had a flywheel, your TH400 requires a flexplate, and usually it doesnt matter which flexplate you use as long as you can mount the starter on your block that matches it. I believe the smaller tooth uses the straight across bolt holes starter mount and the larger tooth uses the offset mounting. I know this was discussed on another thread but I can't remember which one.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote