The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Mike and Andy junking a truck...

Last week, mike called me over to help him blow apart this old beater he picked up. Typical old beat up rusted out midwest rust bucket, with mostly typical old truck parts on it.
Some of you may remember Mike and I going to Chicago last november to pick up the worlds ugliest 68 chevy truck... if you don't remember it... then check this link out... it is required reading to fully realize what a slacker mike is! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=312949

Well, here's how it looks today;

Yeah... I'm tellin you, SLACKER!!!

So enter in a craptastick old beater...

350/TH400... new Edelbrock carb on top.... and nothing else special under the hood

At first glance... nothing too special in here... just rust and crust...

And nothing to get too excited over back here... well, there IS a can of dew on the rear bumper. Which, speaking of that bumper, it will be featured on my longhorn here soon!

Just your typical million mile old (give or take a few hundred thousand) beat up old 72 GMC. It was a Sierra Grande, but it was seriously nothing special.
Here's the spid... a couple nice options in there...

I show up at a little before noon...charge it up, crank it over, and it fires up. It's running on 30% rust, 60% old fuel, and 10% of I dunno. Would you believe it was hittin on 7 1/2 cylinders? Even with the front left wheel being pretty much locked up, it still drove up onto the transport vehicle...Hey mike, you tie it down, I'm gonna go drink your dew and have a smoke!

Look at this homo... he thinks he's cool or something...

And I follow him... headed to his ex wife's house. She has the space we need to pull this off.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Longhorn Man

Re: Mike and Andy junking a truck...

The sawzall is an amazing tool... I hope to outline how to pull an engine with only this one priceless tool.
Here's mike carefully removing the exhaust. We didn't have any ziplock bags to keep it all sorted out... but we did have a box.

Remember to always wear gloves and glasses... like mike wasn't.

Mike... you dumb ass... Don't think you're gonna just chill now just becouse you are bleeding.
And putting the needed stuff om after the faact doesn't make you cool.
Neither does leaning on your favorite hand truck. Well, at least, your favorite color anyways.

Dig it... copper tranny cooler lines... and a starter bolt in the bellhousing! Thats funny stuff!
And for the record, neither is a good idea.

Pull off the carb to put the lift plate on...wait, what the heck is that?

I guess they didn't eant any leaks.... and, permatex on the carb gasket will in fact help prevent leaks....
I guess.

I guess I need to get me an underpaid lacky... becouse at this point I put the camera down and proceed to get my hand crushed beteen the engine and the hoist. Wouldn't you guys have loved to see me in a panic on that.
I actually didn't get any more pics till the front clip was removed, engine, tranny, and quite a few odds and ends.

Here's mike digging for loose chainge... and a tilt...

hook up...

Drag up...

tie up...
Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Longhorn Man

And roll it to the junk yard before night fall.

And then leave mike with the mess to clean up!

Sure... I'm givin him a hard time... but here soon, I may be calling him to return the favor. I'll be picking up my engine donor/parts truck here shortly...

Hey mike... wanna come over sometime and give me a hand? We'll have some fun first though... you know... burn outs and stuff! heh heh heh heh

And that's how you spend a holiday... kickin back the dews, raggin on each other, bleeding and cussing.
Ahhh.... good times.
You should try it sometime. It builds character.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Seems like you guys had a lotta fun..I wish my ex-wife had a place like that and allow me to use it. Hey, u think Mike would like to get rid of that tilt column sometime???
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Longhorn Man

lets not turn this into a parts thread...dont make me lock my own thread due to thread jacking and parts requests which are against the rules.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-15-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
big_al_71

As usual very entertaining narrated story....Man I need to go hang with you two someday only difference I cant do the dew I have to do water

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

With the big exception of the rust, that donor truck looked pretty straight and had a nice set of options.

A salute for the old girl
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
70cstjr

next time u scrap something like that bring it over here lol...im only an hour away
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Ackattack

what engine is in the donor suburban?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
fine69

Ah man, it was fun. Andy is killer good help for a HOMO!!!!!!. Im just sayin'..........

We tore it up in about 6 hours.

Good times, great DEW.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

the engine donor burb is a 454/TH400... it'll get put to good use.

I guess i failed to mention up there, the parts that fell off the Sierra Grande are all spoken for. The engine/tranny/tilt and assorted stuff are all going on the 68 extended cab. There were quite a few pieces that were scavenged for the Longhorn too.
It was a good time, always fun hangin with Mike.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
the engine donor burb is a 454/TH400... it'll get put to good use.

I guess i failed to mention up there, the parts that fell off the Sierra Grande are all spoken for. The engine/tranny/tilt and assorted stuff are all going on the 68 extended cab. There were quite a few pieces that were scavenged for the Longhorn too.
It was a good time, always fun hangin with Mike.
Looks like lots of fun.

At the current rate of speed for that old '68, maybe in 2012 ya'll can post up some pics with at least the tilt installed
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Looks like lots of fun.

At the current rate of speed for that old '68, maybe in 2012 ya'll can post up some pics with at least the tilt installed
Yea, your probably right. LOL I have owned that truck twice. Bought it about 5 years ago, sold it, bought it back.

I did drop the new Turbo 400 off at the tranny guy's today. Will be done Friday. Then the new valve seals and gaskets go on the motor, and its gettin stuffed in the truck.

More progress should be had in the next month than in the last 4 years. hmmmm. hehe

Board member #6

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
dan42

There's something kind of serious about parting out one of our old girls - I don't know, it just feels a little sad to see one cease to exist, and it doesn't matter if it's a rust bucket or not. Almost like it never had any value at all, never meant anything to anyone, and can be thrown away and crushed after it has given so many years of service. It has to be done, but it's always hard to see, at least for me. I'm glad I have one that will be around at least until I'm gone. I have toyed with the idea of selling my '70 because my wife wants an old Bronco, but I'm not even sure if I can do that. And they say that drugs are a bad addiction!
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice writeup as usual...no gloves or goggles = pain Also no mask when grinding a 40 year old frame = lung issues...don't ask me how I know that... I was wearing a pair of gloves and safety glasses though
Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Was this supposed to be interesting or something?

Hey Mike,next time grab the camera and get a picture of the crushed hand stuck there.Although I liked the blood shots,this thread lacked in gore and pain....You guys know I`m just joshing..oops,I mean messing with you.I never wanted to go to Columbus.I was left with a bad impression as a child on a trip out US40 to Indiana one summer.What a cluster fuh...,I mean mess it was before I-70.Now,I think about rolling out there just to hang with a couple homos.

It`s always sad to see such a fine piece go to scrap.I hear taps sounding in the back of my head when looking at the unload at the scrapyard.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-16-2009 at 06:53 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Was this supposed to be interesting or something?

Hey Mike,next time grab the camera and get a picture of the crushed hand stuck there.Although I liked the blood shots,this thread lacked in gore and pain....You guys know I`m just joshing..oops,I mean messing with you.I never wanted to go to Columbus.I was left with a bad impression as a child on a trip out US40 to Indiana one summer.What a cluster fuh...,I mean mess it was before I-70.Now,I think about rolling out there just to hang with a couple homos.

It`s always sad to see such a fine piece go to scrap.I hear taps sounding in the back of my head when looking at the unload at the scrapyard.
Crazy part was.... I didnt know Andys hand was getting crushed. Freakin' homo didnt tell me. He just kept saying "take it down,let the motor down. About 10 times. I was like, what the H--- is up with you? LOL. So i let it down. And he was like, Dude, my hand was crushed in there. Ummmmmm ok douchebag tell me that next time. HAHAHA. i felt bad for like 1/2000 of a second and then we moved on..

Board member #6

Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: Mike and Andy junking a truck...

Mike,
if thats all the blood you lost then you did pretty good in my opinion, he!!, i lose more than that every time i shave,lol. I have to agree with Andy, Mike is a blast to hang out with. we had a great time when he was out here in cali a while back. I wish one of my ex wives had a shop like that AND would let me use it
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
1956cameo

Looked like a pretty decently optioned truck to me! Thanks for another interesting story as usual.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Longhorn Man

Mike is 100% right on the hand crushing thing... I was just calmly saying let it down let it down let it down let it down.
I was hurt, but not injured. I always *try* to remain calm. Had he reacted to me panicking by dropping it fast, there could have been more pain or damage done.
Cool calm and collective... thats me. yeah right.

Tim, a lot has chainged in columbus since the late 60's early 70's... but, Columbus still pretty much sucks. Thats why I have to go 40ish miles to see Mike.
Wait... did you just call me a homo? No no no no.... MIKE is the homo, I have proof.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
Mike,
if thats all the blood you lost then you did pretty good in my opinion, he!!, i lose more than that every time i shave,lol. I have to agree with Andy, Mike is a blast to hang out with. we had a great time when he was out here in cali a while back. I wish one of my ex wives had a shop like that AND would let me use it
At one point blood was dripping from the end of my finger. That is how i noticed that i hurt myself. LOL. I saw spot appearing on the floor.

Jerry you should be around when Andy and i are together. Crap its funny.

One of your ex-wives? Man, you must be like me and have several. She is pretty cool most of the time. Unfortunatly we couldnt work out our issues. But at least she still lets me use the shop.

Board member #6

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Ok Andy,I get it.No mo homo in Columbo.

I`ve been through on 70 many times since that hot ride back in the`60s.Much much better now.When I drove my`72 back in`01 I kept telling myself I`d pull into Columbus and check out a tt bar or two.When I finally got there I rolled on through to Zanesville and crashed out at a truck stop.Now I have a better reason to go back and terrorize.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
ERASER5

And to think I almost bought that truck... I guess there was very little good sheet metal.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote