The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
1969custom10

New to Forum- Welcome

Good Morning:

As background, my skill set stops at changing oil. Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law with a sweet shop and extensive knowledge; however, I need to try things on my own to expand my skills. He hooked me up with a 69 chevy truck for a fair price. I wanted a truck to haul a few items here and there- not a daily driver. Now, after reading posts and getting involved, I have an urge to do more with my truck... and hoping to get assistance from y'all. I don't want to lean on my brother-in-law too much... until I need to change out my Optispark (the new extent of my motor knowledge).

Obviously, someone started restoring the truck before I bought it. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't in decent shape (due to my lack of skills). I heard restoration began in Alabama, then sat outside for five years with a new owner, then found it's way here to NC, and now in my driveway. Anyone seen it before or know the history?

I'm considering body work to protect it because it sits outside. The picture does not show half the scratches, pits, keyed door, primered fender, etc., nor does it show the black-painted frame. I can hear the body rusting at night. The bed has some rot and will be replaced later (I have wood tools and skills).

How do I start? My greatest concern is the metal lip around the roof. Hasn't rusted through but some spots appear "deep." What tools do I use for light rust, heavy rust, etc.? Grit size? Any tips for a newbie? What are the fundamental/basic tools I need to remove rust? For rust-through (i.e., rocker panel & cab corners), I'll take the truck to a body shop (when money comes available of course). Again, I know nothing about vehicle care/maintenance and have no tools, but have time and elbow grease. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

1969custom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
big_al_71

Re: New to Forum- Welcome

First of all welcome from Miami Florida!!! I know nothing about body work so I really cant help you on that. If you search thru the site there are many threads on "How To" do just about anything to these trucks.I am sure others will chime in and offer suggestions.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Wow man you are super close to where i live.....nice truck
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
DZL1
One day.....

Welcome! Nice truck man. As Al said search around and dont be afraid to ask questions.

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Welcome! From a neighbor!Looks like a lot better truck to start with than most have.Lack of skills is just another way of saying"something you've never tried before".There's a lot to be learned but just treat it like eating an Elephant.You do know how to eat an Elephant don't you."One bite at a time".Just post and ask questions,someone has been there and can guide you.Most members here are picaholics with a penchant for showing off their knowledge so they will be glad to show you how much they have learned here by answering questions.
You will need sandpaper a wire wheel and lots of time and effort to clean the rust.The area you are talking about will need to be "seam sealed" when you haver it clean.There shoulde be some threads on it in the FAQ (tyrucks) section.I am about to start my first ever repair of this area also so I know only what I've read.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 09-19-2009 at 10:49 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
OARNGESI

Welcome trucks look really good to start out
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
john
member #16

Welcome to the board. Click the FAQ link in my sig. and there is alot of info on the basics of bodywork. Good luck.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Welcome to the board from Texas. I would check out the bodywork section on the forum for help
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote