The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

help with Seat Foam

ok my bench seat is pretty good except for the driverside where my arse goes.... makes me lean on the door due to the lack of foam on the edge?? I could stay with the old school fix (pack it with news paper lol) but would rather see about changeing the foam and backer which looks like berlap??

any ideas or help would be great ...I don't want to change the seat but if it gets to expencive to repair/fix I'll end up doing that instead...I will say it will stay a bench..the other half likes to slide into the middle and lean over on me kinda like on a big date and it thats what it take to keep her in the truck then so be it....
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: help with Seat Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
........the other half likes to slide into the middle and lean over on me kinda like on a big date and it thats what it take to keep her in the truck then so be it....
The retro look ------ Don't see that too often anymore.

My old seat foam was deteriorated and couple of springs broken. I found out that buying the foam and cover was way above what I wanted to spend on it at this time so I got a bench back seat from an 86 Chevy crew cab ($60).

I still plan on redoing the original, but needed something to sit on that I could see out of.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

The covers and foam sold for these seats are pretty expensive, so I had my seat redone locally. Custom vinyl, new foam, fixed broken springs for $250.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
The retro look ------ Don't see that too often anymore.
yea I slap on what they call the oldies station (WTF oldies are not from the 70's how dare they) listen to some old school rock and put the miles under it kinda like being in High School again .. same music, same old iron, and no money or place to go!!!...lmao

I dont real want to switch the seat because then I'll never fix the old stock one....

is the foam in the bottom just a flat piece or is it formed to some shape??? I have no problem with the duc tape over the hole and the mexican blanket over it kinda keeps the old school rat rod look but my old arse and back can't take the all day cruzing with one cheek in a hole ..but it beats a milk crate which is what I drove it on for 2 weeks....

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I wounder if any newer seat are about the same size bottom and if one could be used as a foam donor the put the old cover back on???? anyone tried that??

sorry guys half the fun of being cheap is looking for new ways to stick to the original hot rod ( what they call rat rods??) traditions use what you have or can get cheap from your buddies or the local scrap yard...I have stuck to it in this truck so far because this was just going to be a cheap beater truck I never thought I was going to have this much fun with it.....
Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
cdowns

go local and get a quote
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
landarts
landarts

I had the same problem this is how how was able to repair the seat. Here is the link to my thread in the FAQ http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351620
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
I had the same problem this is how how was able to repair the seat. Here is the link to my thread in the FAQ http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351620
thanx great post......what did you use on the spring side of the bottom do you think the cottom batting would work to stop the foam fromsquishing around the springs or would It be bettr off to place other material....I'm going to hit the cloth shop today to see what they have??
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
landarts
landarts

Here is what I did to stop the foam from going into the springs -- from the FAQ ....used the product Nufoam see below or back to the faq to see the picts

Day two
I went to the local fabric store and purchased a product called (Nu-Foam) in the 1/2" size, it is a non-allergenic foam substitute that is easy to work with and cost about $6.50 a yard. I also purchased a product called "Heirloom" cotton batting, it comes in various sizes. I purchased a bag that was 90" x 108" . When I got back to the house I laid the seat cover out on the fence to get it heated up and make things a little more pliable to work with.

I laid the Nufoam on a table and put the bottom seat foam upside down and traced the top of the seat out on the foam and proceeded to cut it out. Then I put the bottom support up on the table, put the foam bottom of the seat on top of the frame and the newly cutout of Nufoam on top of the old foam. Everything looked great from there. So I proceeded with the Heirloom cotton batting layer on top of the entire seat cushion and let it hang down low all the way around. I also had a few scrap pieces of Nufoam that I positioned under the springs on both ends ( see Picts). The reason for this was the springs in those location had really wore that area of foam and I thought this would give it a new area of support for the springs. Now was the time to pull the new seat cover over the assembly of old and new foam and give it a test sitting before I moved on to the stretching and fastening. It felt perfect, not overly plump but firm in all locations.
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I got that part of it but it seems like there was ..pre mice and dry rot ...a piece of what looks like berlap between the springs and foam....I think it was there to disperse the weight more over the foam and so the springs ddin't cut it (foam) how it the NUfoam for strength?? you can see in your 5th pic the pattern left by the old Berlap?? but I like the idea of adding a bt more underneith the spring...another question would be can you move some springs around to get someof the worn out ones to the middle of the seat or something??...Just asking before I dive in since you have been there and have a better idea of what things look like..I think I may carpet my truck and redo the seat since it will be out anyway