The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Whats everyone using for a lift???

I was thinking about doing a 2-2.5 lift on the jimmy, not sure what to use, i see suspension and also body??? Quite a price differance, what is everyone using!

Thanks
Vance
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
RckyMntnKng

Re: Whats everyone using for a lift???

Im using both....right now a 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift on the Jimmy. In the past Ive had about 5-6 lifted vehicles, ranging from body lift only, suspension lift only, coils, springs blocks etc etc.

They each have there up and downs, In my opinion a few of the main ones are:

Body Lift:

Pros = COST, ease of installation, lack of steering geometry changes, bulletproof / lasts forever, Center of gravity doesnt change as much. New body mounts at the same time

Cons = Bumpers dont align with body unless moved up equal amount, transfer case lever, shift linkage may need extended, Wires may need extended, Fuel filler may need extended. No gain on clearance to the frame, except the tire size increase. Body Gaps may not look as clean

Suspension Lift:

Pros = Ground clearance, customize your load capacity (soft or hard), looks, articulation

Cons = COST (wide range here depending on type of susp lift), Steering geometry changes (Drop pitman, raise steering block, crossover etc), may need longer brake lines, may need longer shocks...Rear blocks instead of new leaf packs can cause axle wrap.

Im sure others will chime in with more...

If I was you, and only wanted a 2.5" lift and maybe 33's (and doing the work myself in the garage)...For the budget minded and absolute easiest i'd go 2.5" block under the rear leaf packs with longer U-bolts and a set of 2.5" new leafs out front. If I needed new Body mounts anyway, I may buy a set of new ones and a 2.5-3.0" BL and get the gap covers and bumper relocate brackets. Wont have problems with lengths on wires/linkages on this most likely. If I wanted to spend the money and make it perfect Id go all new 2.5" leaf packs front and back with a correct drop pitman arm or crossover steer.

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 09-22-2009 at 02:02 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Arizonak5

<---springs up front built spring pack in the rear with a 4 inch block! sits nice and level no ass sag!
1973 Hickey ent. equipped Blazer
1977 Blazer Chalet #1193
Arizonak5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

LOL ya i hate it when my @ss sages!!! No but really mine does and it really bothers me, thats why i thought a small lift would be cool, i really love the info but am wondering if i might be in over my head with this one, not real good at geometry changes.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
litebulblsc

Just buy a skyjacker kit where they have all the geometry figured out for you
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Ok heres is the link that i have found, wow what a differance in price for what seems like the same thing, i am on a budget and kinda like the one that is $148.69

Any input on witch one to buy would be great.

thanks
Vance

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?D=sk...94962528&Nty=1

Last edited by VanceH; 09-23-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add link
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
litebulblsc

Doubt that is right. Here is what the skyjacker 2.5 lift kit costs.
And you still need shocks, brake lines, and steering correction.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Skyjacker/825/C225AK/10002/-1
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Well i guess i wont be doing that for a bit!! what about a body lift? They seem to be cheaper maybe ill look into that
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
truckster

A body lift, in my opinion, isn't the ideal solution. However, that's what my Blazer had on it when I bought it and I don't have the money to spend on a suspension lift right now, so that's what I have.

A body lift gives you the advantage of being able to fit larger tires on your Blazer. If you look at minimum ground clearance, larger tires are really the only way to increase clearance without going to something like independent suspension or a driven hub like the military HMMWV has. Of course, a body lift doesn't increase the ground clearance on the frame as much as a suspension lift, and it doesn't increase suspension travel.

Still, if your main purpose for the lift is to put slightly larger tires (I have 33s on mine) and give a little more clearance for some not-too-radical off-roading, a body kit is the cheapest way to go.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
RckyMntnKng

You might be surprised how much more articulation or travel you can get with a 3" body lift, some larger / heavier tires and removing one or both of the spring pack clips.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

could you tell me what the Spring Packs are??? or a picture

Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
RckyMntnKng

Sure, here is the 2.5" lift spring pack from the Po i removed. Stock leaf pack with a 2.5" block for the "lift"

As you can see, one clip is removed. Clip is the what keeps the individual leaves from spreading at the ends. It also doesnt let the leafs flex individually...ie less movement / articulation
Attached Images

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 09-24-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

cool thanks i am going to have to get under her and see what i have, i really want to raise her a bit but mainly get my arse up so she is level
Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
RckyMntnKng

if you just want to get rid of some rear sag, get a block like in the picture, with longer u bolts and walla, your done.

Also a set of "add a leafs" would solve that problem for maybe 100 bucks. Any shop can add those in an hour

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 09-24-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Thanks Rcky, hey do you ever do the cruise at Rockys drive inn, i guess its under new managment and they are having there grand opening this saterday, Should be about 40 old rods there and then a little cruise after everyone eats, the wife and i are going and would love to see a few more blazers/jimmys!!!!