The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Ackattack

Windsheild trim

I read the FAQ about installing the windshield, but my painter didn't . Anyways, he installed the back glass without putting in the stainless trim first. Can I put it in after the fact?

If I can't install the trim after the fact, what is the easiest way to get the glass and seal out without damaging it? The seal is new, so it's nice and soft.

Also, do I need to seal it with anything, or does the rubber gasket by itself seal it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Windsheild trim

Bump. I'm interested in the repsonses to this also.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Leo70

I just had mine installed, and for the look of it the rubber goes on the glass then the stainless trim goes in, then you install the glass. The trim has a small angle on the inside, I assume this helps keep it in place, so I think that installing it after the fact would be really hard. I would send you pictures but I had to remove mine againg, because the rubber rippein in a corner and Im getting a new one to replace it.

good luck

Leo.
1963 Chevy Impala SS Rag..SOLD!
Leo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
skidder111

I just had this done this spring. Windshield guy did the same thing. We ended up taking it out again using those fancy pick deals that glass guys use; put LIGHT pressure on the inside of the wind shield using lots of hands and just start "picking" the rubber seal outwards. PATIENCE is a must. Once the the top is worked out (also the tops of the sides) it should just tip forwards and out. To put it back in: Install the rubber onto the glass then install the trim into the rubber. Find some good sticky tape to hold it all together. Remember to put the tape where it won't be a hassle to remove when installation is complete (ie) where the pinchweld is on the frame. My guy used his picks to pull the rubber bead(?) back into position in the frame, but you could probably rope it in too. Use lots of dish soap or other lube. Good luck.
skidder111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Your Window will have to come back out.

Use a small garden hose to insert between the inside of the cab window frame and window gasket. This will force the gasket to open up as you push the hose in starting from from one side and work your way around the top to the other side. Think of this as many fingers holding the gasket away from the inside flange which will allow you to push the window out from the inside. then once out, put trim into gasket and use tape on trim/gasket to help hold it in place, rewrap gasket with window rope (thin rope to help pull gasket over flange during install). Then set window back into place making sure that trim does not pop out anywhere during the install. Slow is better the fast on windows with trim.

Last edited by John Fabris; 09-29-2009 at 03:59 PM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote