The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Angled spark plugs

Ok...
So I am running Hooker Long Tube headers on my 350 in my 72 c-10... and the heads I am looking at have angled spark plugs.
So... will the tubes get in the way of the spark plugs if they are angled? or will the angled plugs actually make my life easier?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Re: Angled spark plugs

Anybody?
Bueller?
Bueller?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I have heard that angled plugs can be a clearance hassle with some headers, as in they won't work.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
fdbdw

if you look them up on jeg or summit and go to the application link it should tell you if angled plug heads are ok or not
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
cdowns

from what i've seen and heard the angle plug heads are more trouble that what you gain
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
turp mcspray

The reason for the angled plugs was so the spark would more easily travel around the dome on the piston. If you have flat top pistons, you won't gain anything from the plugs being angled.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

It looks like according to the Hooker Header site... angled spark plugs will not work...
So... TFS heads are out...

IIOY???
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
KrazyRay

I have dart heads with the angle plugs and I can't get headers to work either. In the past, I used early corvette manifolds and they worked great. Sadly, I sold them years ago.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

I have a set of TFS with angle plugs, on a 350, my Hooker super comp headers worked fine, but my set of headman suck! If I want to change plugs on several cylinders, they headers have to come off.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Looks like Brodix has some aluminum heads with straight spark plugs... guess I'll go with them instead of TFS.

IIOY???
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
I have a set of TFS with angle plugs, on a 350, my Hooker super comp headers worked fine, but my set of headman suck! If I want to change plugs on several cylinders, they headers have to come off.
So let me get this right...
With these heads, you were able to run these headers... even though allegedly these headers won't work with angled spark plugs?
I am REALLY leaning towards these heads... and I still prefer them over the other heads I've looked at.
Is it a case of having problems changing spark plugs? Or do the angled plugs also cause a problem with the spark plug wires?

IIOY???
Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Ok... so... I have 1... count it 1 spark plug that is giving me problems.
Basically... number 5's exhaust pipe cuts in close to the block (for no reason I can see) and is JUST close enough to cause problems with #5 spark plug. The headers have to come off to change the spark plug, but worse of all... the boot for the spark plug wire is pretty much resting on the pipe... Those things can catch fire pretty quick too...
So... what are my options?
I looked up some heat shields for the boot, but those things are STUPID expensive. Like... It would cost just a little more to change out the headers for a different brand.
Do they make extra skinny boots?

By the way of which... shorty spark plugs are a load of crap. 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch does NOT make it a shorty...

Speaking of spark plug wires... where can I buy them one at a time instead of as a set? I seriously need like... 1 straight boot. 2 45° boots, and 5 90° boots... and no set comes like that.

God I'm annoyed...

edit:
Do I even need a boot on the end of the spark plug wire? What would be the problem of putting some heat shrink type crap around the tip so that the boot is a small around as the wire itself???

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 09-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

After looking at my pipes again... it's the number 1 exhaust pipe that is in the way of the number 5 spark plug.
So get this... the number 1 exhaust pipe curves back in towards the flange before dropping straight down. All it needs to clear is to be pulled away from the block so that instead of curving back in, it just goes straight back.
Oh well...

IIOY???
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Ben IV

i have angle plugs and thorley headers gotta takem off to get all the plugs out
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Look up the spark plug shields for a '95 Brougham with a V8. If I recall right, that's the one to look for, their only a few bucks a piece and grab onto the spark plug boot. Running them on a few plugs that are damn near resting on the pipe and have had no melted spark plug boots.

I can double check the application later, but from what I remember any of the LT powered GM RWD cars had them.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Look up the spark plug shields for a '95 Brougham with a V8. If I recall right, that's the one to look for, their only a few bucks a piece and grab onto the spark plug boot. Running them on a few plugs that are damn near resting on the pipe and have had no melted spark plug boots.

I can double check the application later, but from what I remember any of the LT powered GM RWD cars had them.
I tried finding this at Autozone... and I might as well been looking for a camshaft for a Mazda RX8...

Tell me truthfully... do I REALLY need a boot on my spark plug wire?

IIOY???
Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

OHHH yes, the spark will jump to ground the moment it finds an easier path. And the header tube looks like a good choice.

GM dealerships should be able to get it for you. I left a message for my dad, I forgot what he said they were from. But, he got them straight threw the Cadi dealership he works at

edit: LT1 F-body or D-Body. GM dealerships should be able to order it (ask to speak directly to the parts dept.), and it was dirt cheap too I remember.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 09-30-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Found it!!!

2002 Avalanche was the ticket. Part number 15336959.

I did have to cut the boot off of a straight spark plug wire. Then I bent the dohicky to about a... 15° angle... or... 165°... whatever... it's slightly bent.
Then, I took the boot off of another spark plug wire, and put it on the metal part to cover it up, and put the heat shield thingy over that... Haven't fired it up yet... but it looks VERY promising.
Wish me luck!

I did find though that 1953 and older did not have boots on the spark plug wires...

IIOY???
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Right on, a lot more work than the ones I found, but seems like it will do the job!

Older engines had weaker ignition systems. If you have an HEI, I'd bet it would be shorting on the header every time.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #20
chevysittinsidewayz

i ran the corvette lt1(latemodel) heads on my truck withthe cheapest headers you can find for the trucks and they cleared and then i got hooker comps and no-go. thought about cutting the tube to make the one interfering plug work but decided to get different headers anyways. now im using rhs aluminum heads and they actually angle the plugs more parallel to the deck surface, moving the electrode up into the chambers. helps even more on the power side of the argument, but also the cluster f*** part as well. so if you want to take the chance and see if they fit go for it, but you may be in for a lot of work to make the headers fit.
IMO-not shown to be worth it yet.(but i havent ran my setup yet)...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #21
chevy resurrection

When I was young and dumb I ran lawn mower application plugs because they were the shortest I could find. That did the trick for me: the plugs and boots cleared the headers and were removeable by themselves, without having to remove the headers. I was running hei and did not perceive a performance drop, but couldn't say whether the lawn mower plugs would hurt anything...
chevy resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #22
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Lawn mower plugs huh... I only need to deal with one spot. If this heat shield doesn't work I'm going to take that header to a muffler shop to have that one pipe moved.

IIOY???
Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
chevy resurrection

Cool Re: Angled spark plugs

That sounds ideal to me. Especially for just one spot. And it's not like you would be hurtin' for clearance under the hood, right?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Update: The heat shield and custom bend on the plug wire was a complete success. HOORAY!!!

IIOY???