The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
cableguy0

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

pull it back apart make sure everything is in its place and that you didnt rip the diaphram. you probably figured out your own problem
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
383Ram

If you find it is the pump, try one of the Carter mechanical high performance pumps. I have had much better luck with them over the Holley pumps.

I also beg to differ about 3/8" line being needed. I don't know what GM put on trucks stock, but i have seenn plenty of people go 12's on 5/16 line---although i personally don't recommend it, because i'd rather know for sure fuel is high in supply and getting to the engine. Its just simple flow principles on the volume delivered vs volume needed to feed an engine. Just a FYI

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
cableguy0

a 350 will also run with a 300cfm carb but just because you can doesnt mean you should or that its proper.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
383Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
a 350 will also run with a 300cfm carb but just because you can doesnt mean you should or that its proper.
Agreed, but i think you see what i am saying too. I will always recomend 3/8 for any performance application, and i think we are in agreeance on that. I was just pointing out that it is not 100% neccesary---especially me not knowing what is equipped stock on GM trucks.---Gotta remember, im the odd guy here, LOL.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
cableguy0

lol i left out a smiley there. yea its amazing what will work in some cases and completely fail in others. some of the heaps i have seen come into shops and you just look scared to touch anything but it drove in. I always sit and think if mine looked like that it wouldnt have made it out of the driveway
Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
pull it back apart make sure everything is in its place and that you didnt rip the diaphram. you probably figured out your own problem
Yeah I'll do it tomorrow its gotten late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
I would try a different pump next time.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383Ram View Post
If you find it is the pump, try one of the Carter mechanical high performance pumps. I have had much better luck with them over the Holley pumps.
I'll give it a look.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 10-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote