The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
T/C

Help!!?!?

Okay i have been trying to find some wheels and i cant afford to pay the new price of what i am looking for... Soo i have been looking at CL Alot hunting for good deals... Well i found a set of 22''s that i really like But i have no clue how to know if they will fit in the fender... All this guy knows is that there 22'' about 8'' or 9'' wide and the adapter is 2''.. Thats all he could tell me.. He had them on a 96 Swb chevy... What all do i need to find out to know if i will be able to tuck them under the fender cause i dont want them sticking out like he had them.. Anyways here is a picture and if you need me to fill you in on anything else just ask... I am clueless about this big wheel thing its the first time i have ever done anything like this... Here are some pictures to give you an idea..

Ohh and i am trying to get them on a 1970 GMC SWB

Last edited by T/C; 11-11-2009 at 10:57 AM.
T/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Help!!?!?

Ask him if you can drive over and try one on your truck. Other than that you would have to obtain measurements of backspacing of the new wheels and determine if that you cause them to stick out too much on your truck. Usually, these later model wheels tuck in too much. Also, the center bore is usually too small. However, the included adapter or a spacer should negate that issue.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Ask him if you can drive over and try one on your truck. Other than that you would have to obtain measurements of backspacing of the new wheels and determine if that you cause them to stick out too much on your truck. Usually, these later model wheels tuck in too much. Also, the center bore is usually too small. However, the included adapter or a spacer should negate that issue.
So On my truck the wheels would tuck in more then they do on the late model like his? Sorry if i miss understood what you were saying..
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C View Post
So On my truck the wheels would tuck in more then they do on the late model like his? Sorry if i miss understood what you were saying..
Yes, assuming no spacers are used and assuming the typical offset for these late model rims. However, you really need to measure to be sure.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Yes, assuming no spacers are used and assuming the typical offset for these late model rims. However, you really need to measure to be sure.
I tried to get the guy to measure for me... Lol he had no clue what i was talking about... If it was not over 1 hour away i would not be to worried about it but my truck is not really legal to be driving... I drive it to work but its diff in small towns compared to going to Dallas.. Maybe i can work out a deal to just pick them up and take them home and try them on first

One more question cause he could not tell me and i don't know with out seeing myself.. Would that truck have the same 5 x 4.75 lug pattern as my truck?

Last edited by T/C; 11-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

that truck and yours should both be 5x5 bolt pattern if they are half ton
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
epashhans

I just got done figuring this out for my wheels. Mine came off a mid 90's chevy extended cab. Like mclairmo said, your center hub is too large. Thats the biggest problem I ran into. I was also worried about the tire size which was quite large (the guy had these on a 4x4) at 275/55/20. But I was wanted around this size tire because I hate the rubber-band tire look on the oversized rims. I think it turned out pretty good...and way cheaper than new wheels...although these are like brand new. What I ended up doing was this:

Front: 1/2 inch aluminum spacer that slides over lugs bolts. This is to clear the hub. Then i put in longer lug bolts, as spacing it out was just enough to make me worry I wasn't going to have enough lug thread to trust

Back: I bought some aluminum 1.5 inch spacers...mid 90's chevy spacers...and bolted them on. Fits almost perfect. I might try 2"s to see how they fit. I would probably go with them next time. I measured about a million times, but when you actually put everything together it came out a little close on the inside.

Here are some pics of the truck with the wheels on. If I end up having to tuck more when I put the 454 back in, I will probably take the hub in and have the inside of it turned down just enough to put the wheel on. That should give me another 1/2 inch tuck. Hoping I don't have to...especially because 1/2 inch isn't much. Hope that helped.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C View Post
I tried to get the guy to measure for me... Lol he had no clue what i was talking about... If it was not over 1 hour away i would not be to worried about it but my truck is not really legal to be driving... I drive it to work but its diff in small towns compared to going to Dallas.. Maybe i can work out a deal to just pick them up and take them home and try them on first

One more question cause he could not tell me and i don't know with out seeing myself.. Would that truck have the same 5 x 4.75 lug pattern as my truck?
I am actually pretty sure that 96 has the 6 bolt pattern like the 67-68 trucks. That is why I chose that style/year of wheel...it was 6 bolt like my truck...and I didn't want to convert to 5 bolt...and didn't like the choice of 6 bolt wheels in my price range.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
that truck and yours should both be 5x5 bolt pattern if they are half ton
Mine are 5 x 5 My bad....
Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
I am actually pretty sure that 96 has the 6 bolt pattern like the 67-68 trucks. That is why I chose that style/year of wheel...it was 6 bolt like my truck...and I didn't want to convert to 5 bolt...and didn't like the choice of 6 bolt wheels in my price range.
My truck was already converted. its a 5 x 5 and i know that truck that the wheels are off of is a 5 lug and someone else said it would be a 5 x 5.. ( The wheels are 6 lug wheels but have an adapter) The adapter is 2'' and thats what was making me worry about it fitting inside the fender.. But that 2'' should help me out with clearing the hub? Or will i still need spacers? Sorry for 20 questions... Just trying to see if any of this is even worth 2 hours of driving just to try them out in the first place... Thank you all for the help by the way.. Lol i know i am probably not being very clear
Old 11-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
epashhans

That 2 inch adapter in the rear will probably be perfect. You are going to have trouble up front though...you can see in my pictures where the wheels are in the front with a 1/2 inch space. The 2 will push out under the lip of the fender I think....or it will be close. It will look odd as the rear will be narrower than the front by quite a bit.

I am pretty sure that 96 is a 6 bolt. I could be wrong though...i would have him send pics of everything to make sure...with the center cap off and a wheel removed...before you drive that far.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
epashhans

Oh...sorry, thats a 2wd 96 right? You are right, I think they are 5x5 bolt.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
T/C

Quote:
Oh...sorry, thats a 2wd 96 right? You are right, I think they are 5x5 bolt.
yeah 2 wheel drive And i have to have the adapter guess i will see if i can find narrower one.. Thanks for all the help man i really want to make sure i get this right the first time
Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
epashhans

I think the narrowest adapter you will find will be 1 inch...if that skinny. That will be close to pushing you out to far if you are going to drop your truck any, which I am assuming you plan on doing. It might be close though...and you could alter your inner fender and the lip of your fender...because it will be close. I know mine is going to be real close with a 3/5 static with a big block.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
T/C

Quote:
I think the narrowest adapter you will find will be 1 inch...if that skinny. That will be close to pushing you out to far if you are going to drop your truck any, which I am assuming you plan on doing. It might be close though...and you could alter your inner fender and the lip of your fender...because it will be close. I know mine is going to be real close with a 3/5 static with a big block.
My truck already has around a 3/5 drop (that i did not do..) And i plan on dropping it more...

The guy said he would take 650 for the set of 22'' wheels, tires, center caps, lugs and adapters... Hell of a deal but i think i am going to save myself a ton of trouble and wait around for a set of 5 x 5 wheels... ... Maybe waiting will pay off.. Lol Thanks again for all the help!