The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
travisfraughton

1970 c10 brakes problem

ok, so this last week the brakes started feeling like i had to push a little too hard to engage the brakes, so I adjusted all 4, tightened and adjusted all the drum brakes like i always do. now in the last 2 days it grabs much better, buuuutttttt, when i slow down, or am waiting at a stop light, the pedal will slowly get softer and softer and i've even had it go as far as it can and my brake light comes on. The front shoes are fine, the rears will need to be replaced in the next couple of months, but I am clueless as to why they are all of a sudden going soft when i'm waiting for the light. They are power boosted, and i'm stumped. HELP!
seriously any help is very appreciated.
Thanks.
travisfraughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
smn69

Re: 1970 c10 brakes problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisfraughton View Post
ok, so this last week the brakes started feeling like i had to push a little too hard to engage the brakes, so I adjusted all 4, tightened and adjusted all the drum brakes like i always do. now in the last 2 days it grabs much better, buuuutttttt, when i slow down, or am waiting at a stop light, the pedal will slowly get softer and softer and i've even had it go as far as it can and my brake light comes on. The front shoes are fine, the rears will need to be replaced in the next couple of months, but I am clueless as to why they are all of a sudden going soft when i'm waiting for the light. They are power boosted, and i'm stumped. HELP!
seriously any help is very appreciated.
Thanks.
Check all the rubber lines to make sure they are in good condition. It is possible that you may have gotten some air in the system too. You may try bleeding them to see if that helps.
smn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
travisfraughton

hey you live right down the road from me.
I will try that, my first thought was booster, but i guess that'd make the pedal stiff not soft. hmmm.
will go out and play with it this weekend.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
71tahoe

If you're not pumping fluid out the wheel cylinders then you probably have a bad master cylinder. Fluid is bypassing inside.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
smn69

Let me know how it goes, I just did the brakes on my 69 (I converted to front disc though). I have manual brakes too, so maybe someone else can chime in on if the booster could cause the pedal to go soft. My guess is no. If you can't get it maybe I could come by and help out.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
joedoozer
is Certifiable

Yeah definitely sounds like a bad wheel cylinder or a bad master cylinder. If it is triggering a brake light, the the metering valve is moving. So I would look at the wheel cylinder first.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
smn69

Ok, sorry for the double post, and some one can correct me if I am wrong, but a couple more questions:
Is the fluid level staying the same or do you have to fill it often?
Do you have good braking initially?
I just checked with the auto teacher at the high school I work at and he said the booster just aids in stopping and will not cause to pedal to go to the floor while sitting (that's what I thought). If you are not loosing fluid check to make sure the rubber hoses are not ballooning anywhere. If the rubber hoses are good and you are not loosing fluid, it may be an internal leak in the master cylinder. If that is the case, I have a new cylinder for a drum, drum setup that I can't use that I would be willing to let you have.
Let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
travisfraughton

Now that i think of it, i had this problem with my 77 like 6 years ago and it was a wheel cylinder. that sounds right but i will let ya know what happens this weekend.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
If you're not pumping fluid out the wheel cylinders then you probably have a bad master cylinder. Fluid is bypassing inside.
My thinking also. If the pedal slowly goes down under pressure its a bad master.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
sleepertruck72

A quick way to rule out the master cylinder is to undo your brake lines, and plug the m/c lines, your pedal should be rock hard. But if you are having to add fluid because the brake light is coming on, then possibly your wheel cylinder(s) is leaking, causing the pressure differential switch or low fluid sensor to activate the brake light. If you have air in your lines, that would cause the low brake pedal also.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

just look under the truck at the backside of the tires. If there's a leaking cylinder, you'll know it.
Otherwise (and more likely IMO) it needs a master cylinder.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote