The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Rear Steering

I have done this a few times for customers of the shop where I worked. The first one was on a friend's truck. It was an '87 K/20 with 15" of lift and 44" tires. The truck had less than 50 miles when the lift was done, it came straight from the dealership. The rear steering wasn't done until about 10k miles.
For me, the biggest fabricating issue was moving the rear springs inward. They need to be moved to give the tires clearence when turning. The stock location is outside the frame rails, which is too close to the tires. I moved the springs under the frame, similar to the front. In fact, I used factory brackets from another frame.
I did not do any of the cutting shortening/lengthening "stuff" that some say is required..... Since I used a Chevy Axle (and moved the springs) I didn't even have to mess with the perches. The differential being off-center is a non-issue, the u-joints don't care what direction they are angled toward. Nothing "custom" is required as far as axles this way. I did shim the pinion up a few degrees to correct the caster, but high-speed turning is not it's greatest concern....LOL.
I did build a "mount", welded to the axle housing that held a threaded "Nut" under the steering arm (which was left on the knuckle). This allowed a bolt to be driven through the steering arm to "lock" the steering straight. This was to prevent anyone "playing" with the steering when they weren't supposed to. I also installed a key switch to disable the pump. The "lock" was helpful on long road trips because the steering would have a tendancy to "drift".
It was an absolute blast to drive...but only the owner, his wife, and I were the only ones to ever get good enough with it to drive it on the street with the rear-steering operational.

I did a couple more in a very similar manner and one on a Blazer where the guy "insisted" that the differential be centered.....that one cost him plenty.

This was all in the late 80s...before Ohio's lift law brought them all down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote