The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Loganbpilger

Vacuum lines?

So I have been taking a look at the vacuum lines on my truck, most are useless and well for some reason my vacuum advance line is coming out of the vacuum port thing attached to my thermostat housing, is it normal? I have a friend running a 351w in his 79 f250 and he told me just to run it off my carb and I'll be fine. Any ideas? I'll get a pic tomorrow.
Loganbpilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
bitchin85

Re: Vacuum lines?

what kind of carb do you have? the only vacuum lines i have on my truck is the vac advance off the carb, power brakes off the carb, or intake, line to trans off intake, line for heater controls, and breather for pcv valve. i have an edelbrock carb but you can run the lines this way on any carb
Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Loganbpilger

I have a Rebuilt quadra jet, and here is a pic of my rats nest I have for vacuum lines.

And *****in85 when you said
Quote:
vacuum lines i have on my truck is the vac advance off the carb,
Do you have that little delay pod in that line or is it just a straight line?

And on the photo of the rear vacuum port I have cruise, heater control, trans and the black and yellow one runs back into one of the vacuum ports on the front of the manifold. So I'm a little confused if you know what I mean. I will be removing all emissions (charcoal canisters and such) along with cruise (broken and don't use it) and I just picked up an egr block off plate, but until I install it should I plug the hole in it?
was never hooked up since I bought it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
GMC Guy

ok, what you're going to need are a bunch of the little black vacuum caps (they're rubber i think). and you're going to need pipe plugs. start with the cruise control, take all those components out. the only things you need going into that quadrajet are: vacuum line for PCV valve, vacuum line for vacuum advance on the distributor, the line running to your brake booster, and the metal lines for your choke. every other vacuum port on the carb can be capped off. make sure you buy new vacuum lines, they're cheap and you'll be glad you did. start with that and let me know how it goes.
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
bitchin85

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370041

look at posting number 6. thats how i had mine hooked up and everything was fine. my motor didnt have the exhaust blockoffs though. or egr
Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Loganbpilger

So to start off I want to thank everyone who gave advice and posted, as well as the form it's self! woke up this morning with a e-mail wishing me a happy birthday and thought that was pretty cool.

So as you know I took sometime to do this and well took a final photo this morning, truck is running alot better, still some blow by but it's working great once warmed up! Along with the truck running great, and the birthday wishes, I also found myself a job in a new shop, after being part of the unemployed for 10 months it's nice to know someone is willing to give me another shot at my dream.

Here is the finished product for now, and thanks again to everyone.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I eliminated all but the absolute necessary ones. Then I changed out the engine and eliminated the rest when I got rid of the factory carb.

Last edited by piecesparts; 11-21-2009 at 06:15 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote