The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Blackcypress-EB

91 TBI swap into 71 C-10, Advice needed

I am thinking about swapping the TBI 5.7 out my wrecked '91 in to my 71 350, 3 on the tree. I can gut the '91 of anything needed. I have been thinking about parting it out anyway. I am pretty sure the crank on the TBI will not match the flywheel on the 71. Any ideas? The 91 has a 700r4, I am going low buck and fast as possible. I just need it running soon so my wife doesn't skin me for bringing another one home.

I have searched but the 3 speed thing hasn't come up before that I could find. I would like to keep it standard but I could possibly put the auto in it. The truck is plain but it is an unmolested low rust medium green 2 owner. Still has the original dog dishes and AM radio.

Thanks for any advice.

BC
'91 Cheby X-Cab (wrecked)
'68,'71,'74,'75 yard ornament Original Broncos
'31 Cheby Five Window (Original condition for now)
Harley Night Train
Yamaha TW200 & Yamaha WR450, need ridin'
Good wife who believes me when I say, "but it's such a good deal!"

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...LONE STAR BEER....| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Blackcypress-EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
oldspowered
resto body guy

Re: 91 TBI swap into 71 C-10, Advice needed

just do a search on this website for tbi swaps there are some good advise.
if you going the cheap the automatic is the way to fly because you should get decent mpg with the gear ratio in the rear end since it's a manual truck.
i'm currently will be starting my tbi swap into my 71 c-10. mine is from a 87 c-10. mine has the od trans as well.
in the process i will be using a yukon/tahoe tank under the bed.and i'm using the computer harness and the stock 71 wiring and making my own loom. since i don't have a budget that allows me to buy everything.just keep in mind your budget and the wife shouldn't get pissed. good luck...
David
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Dasani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcypress-EB View Post
I am thinking about swapping the TBI 5.7 out my wrecked '91 in to my 71 350, 3 on the tree. I can gut the '91 of anything needed. I have been thinking about parting it out anyway. I am pretty sure the crank on the TBI will not match the flywheel on the 71. Any ideas? The 91 has a 700r4, I am going low buck and fast as possible. I just need it running soon so my wife doesn't skin me for bringing another one home.

I have searched but the 3 speed thing hasn't come up before that I could find. I would like to keep it standard but I could possibly put the auto in it. The truck is plain but it is an unmolested low rust medium green 2 owner. Still has the original dog dishes and AM radio.

Thanks for any advice.

BC
I have a '94 TBI & 700R4, I lucked into a "painless" TBI harness when I bought a truck a few weeks ago. I plan to put this in a 67 project.

Tom Jones aka Dasani
Dasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Blackcypress-EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered View Post
just do a search on this website for tbi swaps there are some good advise.
if you going the cheap the automatic is the way to fly because you should get decent mpg with the gear ratio in the rear end since it's a manual truck.
i'm currently will be starting my tbi swap into my 71 c-10. mine is from a 87 c-10. mine has the od trans as well.
in the process i will be using a yukon/tahoe tank under the bed.and i'm using the computer harness and the stock 71 wiring and making my own loom. since i don't have a budget that allows me to buy everything.just keep in mind your budget and the wife shouldn't get pissed. good luck...
David
Thanks for the advice David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
I have a '94 TBI & 700R4, I lucked into a "painless" TBI harness when I bought a truck a few weeks ago. I plan to put this in a 67 project.

Tom Jones aka Dasani
Semper Fi Mac,
Let me know how it goes, I may just rebuild the original 350 and put some camel humps I have laying around on it. I have a little thinking to do. If the truck was an auto I would for sure throw the TBI in. Good luck and happy belated birthday brother.

Scott
'91 Cheby X-Cab (wrecked)
'68,'71,'74,'75 yard ornament Original Broncos
'31 Cheby Five Window (Original condition for now)
Harley Night Train
Yamaha TW200 & Yamaha WR450, need ridin'
Good wife who believes me when I say, "but it's such a good deal!"

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...LONE STAR BEER....| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Blackcypress-EB is offline   Reply With Quote