The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
jocko

Custom Deluxe and higher window trim on a plain old Custom (72)

Quick question for a 72 expert... Custom/10 came with no window trim front or back. Classic Industries sells it pretty cheap. But also gives the warning "for use on all vehicles that accept window moldings". Does anyone know if the trucks that originally had no trim can easily have it added or do special clips need to be added to the window channel. Never owned one without the trim, so not sure if you can't just "slap it on there". Thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Re: Custom Deluxe and higher window trim on a plain old Custom (72)

You need the correct weatherstripping with a groove in it for the trim to attach to. So yes and no, it can be done rather easily, but you need to have the correct weatherstrip which means you will have to take out the windshield and rear window if you don't have it.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Sammy

Also be aware that some have posted the aftermarket windshield trim wasn't fitting very well. Not to mention the windshield gaskets. I personally haven't dealt with the aftermarket trim but have attempted to use aftermarket windshield gaskets that was not even close to proper fit. Do your research before spending your coin.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Beuford

I put all new weather stripping in mine with the trim. It had the trim from the factory but my nephew works for Safelite Glass and said the after market trim does not catch the rib in the groove of the original windshield seal right. He said to buy the trim and the seal from the same place.I did and it was still a pain to get the top corners of the windshield to overlap the the top and side pieces. We ended up using the corner pieces from the original trim.It looks nice but I don't know if I would do it again. Also the windshield is thinner than original and I worried about leaks. Mine came out ok but it's like most of the aftermarket stuff. The quality falls short of the original. Good Luck !
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote