The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
ClassicDreamer

stereo systems

what are you guys doing for stereo systems. Especially for you guys that have factory gas tanks. Speaker locations, pics please.
Thanks!
ClassicDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: stereo systems

ive put in several systems, but only two in these trucks. neither had the factory gas tanks. in my truck i put two 6.5s in the kick panels and two 6x9's in the rear corners. had a sub between the seats when i had buckets, but have since went to a bench and took the sub out. i put my head unit underneith my air conditioning vents on the bottom of the dash. i had a virgin dash so i just used a radio delete so i wouldnt have to cut it up.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
OrrieG

I have been researching this too. I found a radio on Ebay (not Custom Autosound) that is getting good review and fits in the stock location. It comes set up for remote cd player (which I have found are not being made anymore) and MP3/Ipod thype players. It had front and back rca outputs. Company is Vintage Auto, in my post in the electrical>truck audio board I have a link. They are backordered now, I think they build each unit when ordered.

I am going to run the same speaker set up as black diesel with the rear speakers placed in the cab corner recess. I want to keep the former tank area clear for a gun/fishing pole rack and room for coats, etc. when up in the woods. If I need a amp it will go under the passenger seat, but others have said the unit runs the four speakers just fine. I have looked on line, the Infinity speakers at Best Buy are getting good reviews.

I am certified half deaf so the extreme highs and lows are lost on me as well as some frequencies in the middle. I blame it on shrill women, power tools and too much racing as a kid.

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-13-2009 at 03:36 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
blackdiesel

for the price of a unit that is made to go in the stock location you can get a KILLER kenwood head unit. i bought one like that to start off with and ended up sending it back because it was junk. spent half the money and got a nice head unit (for the time lol, they have come a long way in the past few years!)
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
lonelywanderer

my truck came with a premier deck rigged to the bottom of the dash and i got 2 small speakers in the kick panels by my feet and a small one behind the seat.

i saw the cheaper hu on ebay that fits the original hole. debating if i should try it or just cut up the hu slot to put a modern hu in there
lonelywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
OrrieG

Mine had been cut and I spent quite a bit of time getting it back to stock. I have a radio delete plate and had planned on mounting a new unit in a console. Put having one fit in the stock location appeals to me. I posted in the truck audio section and one person replyed saying the Vintage Auto unit sounded fine. Couldn't be any worse than the Kraco unit I had before. Diesel you are young and can hear all that the Kenwood delivers. If I can catch the basic tune I make up the rest from memory!

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-14-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
ClassicDreamer

just found this:
http://www.vintagevibes.net/Photos/chevy_trucks.htm
ClassicDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
britnjc

Retro Sound is what i went with in my truck. I ordered mine from LMC and it is a good unit.
Attached Images

britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicDreamer View Post
Those are the Custom Autosound units. They have not gotten very good reviews from people who have installed them.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
britnjc

I believe Custom AutoSound is a totally different company. Here are there two websites below. I read up on both before I purchased and retro seemed to haved the best reviews.

www.casmfg.com

www.retrosoundusa.com

Here is a review that sums up what I heard about the two units before I decided to go with the retro.

"The only comparison between the RetroSound and CA units are that they are sound equipment for cars. The RetroSound gives you modern sound quality and modern features. Yes, it does work very well with an iPod and flash drive. I almost always use one or the other. The receiver is very good as well. I am more than happy with mine. Have you called them yet? Talk to Mike Moore. They did offer a 30 day trial period, and do provide a two year warranty. For me, it is a final "yes" but you have to make up your own mind obviously. I've had two high end CA units over the years and freq. Response was muddy and the power was no where as stated. And so many failures. Plus there was static no matter what I did. One Friday night I put in the RetroSound unit and I am still lovin' it. Sound quality is very clear out of the box and has a lot of adjustment. The only thing I'd change is for the time to be the default on the display. Their next version is in test and will have this. I think it would be worth your time to call them. The owner is a little difficult, so again, ask for Mike. Hope this helps. "
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
britnjc

Ooops Sorry orrie G I just noticed you were talking about another post.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnjc View Post
Ooops Sorry orrie G I just noticed you were talking about another post.
No problem.

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
britnjc

there units will fit any dash. the knobs are adjustable to fit any opening. all you will need is the trim plate specific for your dash. Mine is installed and look great. I dont have a pic and its in the shop getting the glass installed.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
terd ferguson

I've always used Pioneer head units. The one I have now, the kids got me for father's day last year. It's awesome, loud, totally programmable for sound, has a remote, and has mp3/data cd playback along with a jack for an ipod and usb. It was on clearance at walmart for $150. I use Sony 4 way 6x9s and two Sony 6.5s. It's plenty loud enough to run you out without an amp. As far as I'm concerned, it's 1,000 times better than a "vintage" look a like, especially for the money.

That said, I haven't put it in my '55 yet. I pulled it out of my '63 before I sold it a month ago. My dash is cut and as much as I hate the look of a modern stereo in the dash, it's going there for now. I'll be installing it in the next couple of weeks or so. When I get around to fixing the cut dash, I'll put the head unit in the glove box. I plan to put the 6x9s in the corner behind the seat and get a set of those speaker kick panels for the others. Four good speakers along with a quality head unit has always been more than enough for me.

By the way, who has the speaker kick panels like in the Brothers catalog? Just curious how big a speaker you can put in there. I may have to downgrade to some 6s depending on the kick panels.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
britnjc

terd, I am with you. I have always loved pioneer head units. I would have loved to use one in my truck and saved the extra 100 bucks but they just wouldnt fit. I have a 50 gmc and the knobs are offset a little.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #16
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnjc View Post
terd, I am with you. I have always loved pioneer head units. I would have loved to use one in my truck and saved the extra 100 bucks but they just wouldnt fit. I have a 50 gmc and the knobs are offset a little.
Here's my idea to deal with the dash and a modern radio not fitting...

I'd buy the repop chrome radio knobs along with the repop "glass" (the part with the tuning numbers) and mount those with no other factory radio parts. That's just for looks to fill the factory holes in the dash. By the way, have you priced a used factory radio for these? Even if they don't work, the money they pull is ridiculous.

Then for mounting the new head unit, I'd make an aluminum (or similar) box just like the factory cardboard glove box and put the head unit in there. I've got a plastic box type thing used for mounting a head unit under your dash that would work great in the glove box with a metal (instead of cardboard) box. At least this is my plan when I get to the point of fixing my cut up dash.

I imagine you could do the same with your GMC, although I'm not sure if they repop the knobs and such. You may already have them anyway? One thing I hate in an older style build is a modern radio right in the dash. It just looks so out of place. Now the trucks in the truckin' mags is a different story. They look fine in those. I like them, it's just not my style.

Here's the radio mount I was talking about. I'd imagine I'd screw it to the top of the new metal glovebox. Underneath could still be used for small storage, it's not much taller than the head unit...

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #17
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
I'd buy the repop chrome radio knobs along with the repop "glass" (the part with the tuning numbers) and mount those with no other factory radio parts. That's just for looks to fill the factory holes in the dash.
[/IMG]
Great idea. I just looked on line and they are available for $12 (face plate), $9 (spinner) and $7 (round knob). I can put my 4wd & low range led indicators behind it and maybe some white leds for "nite light". Stero will not fit in glove box, Vintage Air unit reduces the size to about 3" depth, just enough for registration, insurance card, mini mag lite and gloves! I have a idea for the head unit but will keep it a surprise for later. I love this site, lots of good thinkers.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
RETROSOUNDUSA

Thanks for the thread guys, I'm glad you all are finding our radio, please let everyone know that we are working on a direct fit radio for 54-59 trucks and it will be available in Late Feb/March--- the radio will be the only modern featured radio that will directly fit this unique series of trucks. The current competitor deletes the presets and eliminates the clock, our redesigned face will fit through the opening of the dash offer access to all popular features via the front panel & RF remote--- and we will offer period correct all metal knobs and trim bezel for the 54 trucks and 55-59 trucks. This radio will be 1" shorter in depth, have SD & USB inputs, RF remote and some other cool tweaks too!--- it will retail between $329 and $349! Thanks for your forum's continued support for our 67-72 solutions, keep in mind we do offer solutions for 60-63, 64-66 too, and all of our vehicle specific solutions have all metal knobs!!! Thanks,

Michael Robbins
Product Manager
www.retrosoundusa.com

Last edited by RETROSOUNDUSA; 12-15-2009 at 08:00 PM.
RETROSOUNDUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
OrrieG

Michael - you must have picked up on my vibes last night when I was at your site. Years on both sides of the 55-59 but none for us skinny oval opening guys. I will keep track of the your site, my truck won't be ready for a radio until summer anyway.

And how about a 10% discount for us site members or early adopters???

Thanks again. Patrick
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #20
msteereak

I will have to check out this Retro Sound radio when it comes out. I want a stock looking radio with inputs for ipod. The only one I found is $500 but looks good and is made in the USA. Not sure about reviews on it but I want the original look more than high end sound quality.
http://www.vintageautoradio.com/inde...mart&Itemid=67
msteereak is offline   Reply With Quote