The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
LT1

LWB to SWB Questions?

Hello to everyone on this killer forum!!!!! I'm very happy to be a member of such an informative forum. This is my first post, and surely won't be my last, as I have an extensive build on the way. I will be starting a new thread in the Build section shortly. I'm trying to gather as much info on converting my LWB frame to a SWB frame. All my lowering components will be purchased from Porterbuiltstreetrods. From what I have gathered so far I like the way that Rokcrln has shortened his frame the most as it seems to be an easier cutting method. Does anyone have opinions on this method vs. how others have performed this?
LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: LWB to SWB Questions?

-
to the board from the Corn State. I used efabman's method that is in the FAQ forum. I had good luck with it and am thinking about doing another one the same way.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-17-2009 at 11:30 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
leddzepp

Welcome to the forum! If you can find a SWB frame, that will make your project much easier. Good luck!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
jabraham17

I am following the method right now on my 67. So far I have the rear section done and I am waiting for time to get to the front. My advice is, TAKE YOUR TIME MEASURING it will go a long ways when it comes to welding it back together. Going by Rokcrln's measurements vs. pictures, I think that his placement of the front cut does not match his statement. He says 8 3/4" back from the stake pocket but it looks more like 4". I will find out soon. Good luck!
jabraham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Have you read this- LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
slicks garage

Smile Re: LWB to SWB Questions?

I didn't look at that method. But I have looked at other posts. I spoke with a long time good friend who is second generation in welding and fab. Their living is made by stretching and shortening HD over-the-road, and service trucks. Dumps and Farming.
Don't get tricky with stupid cuts. Just cut it 90 degrees across the frame and but weld with a proper fish plate backing it up. If the weld is the weak link, why does everyone try to get tricky and make for a longer weld? Slicing at 45 degrees creates a sheer condition. Slicing along the middle of the frame to create a step??? I guess some just think if they have more welding it will be stronger.......
I know how my frame will be cut and finished, and I have witnessed my friends work hauling Heavy Duty for over 25 years now......
Just my (and his) two cents........... Greg
slicks garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Welcome to the forum! If you can find a SWB frame, that will make your project much easier. Good luck!
Big +1 that! SWB frames are easy to find. I made the swap myself using the same year short frame off a stepside. Pics are on my bloglink.

Last edited by AusTx68; 12-20-2009 at 06:59 PM.
AusTx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks garage View Post
I didn't look at that method. But I have looked at other posts. I spoke with a long time good friend who is second generation in welding and fab. Their living is made by stretching and shortening HD over-the-road, and service trucks. Dumps and Farming.
Don't get tricky with stupid cuts. Just cut it 90 degrees across the frame and but weld with a proper fish plate backing it up. If the weld is the weak link, why does everyone try to get tricky and make for a longer weld? Slicing at 45 degrees creates a sheer condition. Slicing along the middle of the frame to create a step??? I guess some just think if they have more welding it will be stronger.......
I know how my frame will be cut and finished, and I have witnessed my friends work hauling Heavy Duty for over 25 years now......
Just my (and his) two cents........... Greg

First off, I don't see where anyone said the weld is the weak link, and I don't think the "stupid" remark was necessary. Just because everyone doesn't do it the way you think it should be done doesn't mean they are stupid in the way they cut theirs.. By the way, 90 degrees is the last way I would ever cut any frame of mine. If I'm stupid because of that so be it but I don't think that is your call...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-21-2009 at 12:44 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
LT1

Thanks for all the information to all that replied!! Another concern I have that wasn't mentioned is making sure everything lines up after the procedure. I plan on using Porterbuilt lowered trailing arms with a step notch to be able to lay frame. By using efabman's measurements will this make the frame the same length as an original SWB frame? I've been reading 68 short steps Incredible Hulk build and plan on trying to duplicate just about everything he's done. Very AWESOME build by the way.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
echo72

Lightbulb Re: LWB to SWB Questions?

If I was going to use precision Porterbuilt parts, I would just find me a SWB frame. Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
pitbull784

cutting a frame at the 90 degrees could cause a sheer conditon just as easy as a 45 degree cut. a step cut does not and is easier to line up level and square
pitbull784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
pat 70/71

My frame is cut@90 with frame stiffeners from early classic worked great, make sure your numbers are right on the money. and there wont be a problem take the time !! lay it out & do it!! not a pro, its just fun for me. have fun!! P. S. I would do it again tomorrow in a heart beat. Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Ok, for these guys claiming that cutting a frame at 45* or 90* will cause a shear condition, PROVE IT! I used to work in a heavy truck frame shop. All the cement trucks we lengthened used the 45* splice method and had the main frame and usually 2 sleeves in each frame rail. All the over the road tractors used a straight butt, and one cold rolled steel sleeve in each rail. If the metal is prepped properly, the weld is done properly, and if it is reinforced properly you will not have this problem. You would have to place one heck of a force on one of these light duty pick up frames to get the frame to shear like claimed. Personally I prefer the straight cut when I do my personal projects, but you could do it either way.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #14
slicks garage

Wink Re: LWB to SWB Questions?

Okay, I don't claim to be a pro welder. But, if someone offers me advise, and they are in the business, I'll listen. And when they tell me to avoid the "stupid" cuts, I gotta think, hey, maybe they know what they are saying. Compound that with what they have going down the road, at 80K pounds, I'll listen............
If, (and I mean if) the weld is not good, then you think the parent metal is the problem? Didn't think so. So, let's assume the weld is not correct. Then if you make a longer weld, is it going to magically get better? So why make a longer weld. The main thing is as suggested. Proper conditioning, and backing plate preparation and additions. So with the proper "good" welds, a longer weld will hold. But, why all the extra work?
One thing is for sure, the step cut will have poor penetration on the lower portion, if the frame is not stood up on it's side and a flat horizontal weld is performed. And if the cut is not correct, then how is it going to come together straighter then the 90 degree cut? You guys better start studying your welding manuals.
Point being, 1/2 ton crusier pickups like we build, probably will get through their next life span, without an issue.
Dieselwrench....... I've never seen a "cement mixer" truck before. It is concrete. Cement is the powder that glues it together.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
slicks garage

Smile Re: LWB to SWB Questions?

Oh, I forgot.

"Mamma says, stupid is, as stupid does." Forest Gump.

So, I listen to people with vast experience. A wise man once told me... God gave you two ears, and one mouth.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #16
LT1

So would this be the best method?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...223158&page=12
Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
ace of shades
NEWBIE!!

Every truck I know of *in this town* has been cut at a 45. there is one odd duck running around that has been "step cut". They do that because you have a longer, stronger weld, it actually looks cleaner when done, and from what I understand is easier to fit up.

What ever your method is, make damn sure its a good clean weld, and remember, you can never gusset too much

I don't like cocaine.. I just like the smell of it

"Well there might be a dime up a goats ass too, but I ain't looken" - Grandpa

VolksRods
ace of shades is offline   Reply With Quote