The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Re: 65Custom Build Thread

I've heard from a lot of people on this forum that have done the one peice say that the window has to either be all the way up or all the way down when you drive. or the window will rattle since the top wont be held by anything if it's out of the door seal at top.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
65Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
I've heard from a lot of people on this forum that have done the one peice say that the window has to either be all the way up or all the way down when you drive. or the window will rattle since the top wont be held by anything if it's out of the door seal at top.
It makes sense that it could do that, since changing it over to a single piece of glass when it was not designed that way in the first place.
I suppose it really depends on how well it is designed and how it all gets installed as I understand it should have a guide at the front of the glass that is made from the original vent channel as a stabiliser for the glass to prevent that similar to the later models.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
65Custom

Ok so I have talked to friend who is very knowledgeable about old cars he currently works for a resto shop in the area anyway he mentioned three things that could be causing the one piece glass to have issues when partially rolled up or down.

1. The thickness of the glass, the new tempered glass is thinner than back in the day when our trucks was built, So if the glass is newer then this can attribute to one issue

2. The weather striping, if the weather striping used is based on the thicker glass then the dampening affect that the weather striping provides may not be adequate. A different weather striping may be required

3. Using the original window mechanisms these become worn with age and are not tight as the day they were built and one solution would be that if you are going to put in a one piece Glass door that you may want to use a power window system. New mechanisms are not a loose and if you mount them properly they should work as intended.

4. Oh this is one that he mentioned that is a good little trick, some of the earlier cars like the camaro and Chevelle, & Cutlass etc had felt adjusters in the doors that guided the windows in the door to stop them from flopping around in the door.

Just thought that I would share some of his wisdom for what it is worth.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote