The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question Squaring bed question

All,
I have a 1972 swb that I would like to “square” the bed on. I do not know how to, could you guys give me some guidance on how to make the bed square…

Thanks!!
Rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
dan42

Re: Squaring bed question

Is it a wood bed and you just want to make sure it's square? It should have been done when the wood was originally done/replaced, but the only way I know how to do it is put it all together loosely, measure, adjust, tighten, measure, adjust, etc. until everything is tight. It's a process but tha's the only way you can do it.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Not sure what you mean by squaring the bed, but if it's just adjusting it so it lines up with the cab or is straight on the frame, here's what I did to mine.

I loosened up the mounting bolts and placed wood blocks on either side between the bed and the cab. I duct taped them so they wouldn't move and/or scratch the paint. I then pushed and manuevered the bed until both sides were touching equally (not forced) on both sides. I eyed both sides to make sure they were straight.

forgot to mention: I placed mine 1-1/2" from the back of the cab.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 01-07-2010 at 12:58 PM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

all,
it is a steel floor bed & i am wanting to make it square related to the tailgate.
dan42,
so i guess i should loosen all the bed bolts? do i (should i) loosen the bed from the truck??
my main issue is that the tailgate does not shut good into the bed & the best i can tell the gate is pretty straight & not bowed.....i just want the gate & bed to line up good & the gate shut easy.

thanks!!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
all,
it is a steel floor bed & i am wanting to make it square related to the tailgate.
dan42,
so i guess i should loosen all the bed bolts? do i (should i) loosen the bed from the truck??
my main issue is that the tailgate does not shut good into the bed & the best i can tell the gate is pretty straight & not bowed.....i just want the gate & bed to line up good & the gate shut easy. thanks!!
Since it's the bed itself that's off, you probably need to take it to a body shop and ask them to look at it. Some of them have block and tackle that may be needed to straighten the bedsides.

You could try to loosen "all" of the bolts holding the sides and fender wells but that would be a lot of work. Most of those bolts have rusted and usually break off when you try to remove them. Not sure that would buy much movement though. Don't forget, the bedsides have a tack weld on the backside that has to be cut.

Might also want to post some pics so we can get an idea of what it looks like.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
dan42

I'm thinking that it was probably loaded with dirt with a front loader or something, where you had a bunch of weight fall into it all at once, and you might have twisted it. I have seen beds do that before. Like 68gmsee says, have a body guy look at it.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
kcfirstbuild

I also have a Question related to this. I have a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton lwb and the box on the drivers side sticks out more behind the cab then the passenger side. Can I just loosen the bolts that hold the bed on and move it ?
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfirstbuild View Post
I also have a Question related to this. I have a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton lwb and the box on the drivers side sticks out more behind the cab then the passenger side. Can I just loosen the bolts that hold the bed on and move it ?
Yes, that's what I did on mine.