The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
blownz

Steering Box Rag Joint

Does anybody make a replacement rag joints? I have a 84 4wd Shortie and the rag joint is worn out. I got a rebuild kit from the auto parts store and replaced the rubber. It's good to go, but I would like to find a new one. Any suggestions?

Wayne
Attached Images

Last edited by blownz; 01-19-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
blownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: Steering Box Rag Joint

Ever hear of the Jeep XJ steering shaft mod? Gets rid of the rag joint and uses a u-joint for very cheap! Bolt in deal. Makes a big difference in steering feel too!

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169874

Last edited by y5mgisi; 01-20-2010 at 12:03 AM.
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

The OEM style can be purchased at the truck shops on the board.

I got mine from the Truck and car shop in Orange CA.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Ever hear of the Jeep XJ steering shaft mod? Gets rid of the rag joint and uses a u-joint for very cheap! Bolt in deal. Makes a big difference in steering feel too!

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169874

You have to have permission to view the link. more details please. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
blownz

Thanks Guys, I will look up the Jeep upgrade.

Wayne
blownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Well fart. Long story short, the jeep cherokee (xj) steering shaft (wide range of years 84-92 or something) Will bolt directly in place of our stock trucks (79ish-87ish) with only a slight modification which is grinding a notch in the coloumn end for a pinch bolt. One moment and i will have more details...
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

All the following info is from CK5.com;

Some of this does not quite work out right cause you cant see the corresponding pics but you should get the idea...

Quote:
This is on my '88 K5. Some of the older steering boxes won't work with this swap due to having a bigger splined end on the steering box. I don't know the years or models off hand, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Once I got the shaft home I took the two halves apart and cleaned it up and painted it. The shaft that I got had plastic inserts that kept the two halves from moving. I just drilled them out and threw away the inserts. The pic’s below show where I drilled and where the inserts were. The holes were already there. That's where the plastic inserts had nubs that stuck in there.

Now you need to remove your stock steering shaft. You will need a 11mm 12 point socket for the bottom bolt and a 15mm for the top one. You will also need a 9/16" socket and 1/2" wrench for the rag joint bolts. I unbolted each end then realized I had to unbolt the rag joint to get the old shaft out. I had to pry the bottom end off of the steering box and tap the top end to get it off.

Once I had the old shaft out I cleaned up the steering box splines and the bottom of the steering column with a wire brush and some brake cleaner. I test fit the ends and realized I had to open each end up a little bit to get them to slide on easily. I used an air hammer with a flat chisel and a cold chisel and hammer to do this.

Once I got each end opend up I test fit them. Then I held the top end up next to the bottom of the steering column and marked where to cut the groove for the bolt that would hold the top half of the steering shaft in place. I used a small grinding bit in my die grinder to make the groove. It worked very well.

Sorry the pic kind of sucks, there are more in my gallery (link in my sig) but they aren't any better.

After that I test fit the shaft again. Once I made sure everything would work right I greased the steering box splines, the bottom of the steering column and I put a little on the inside of the XJ shaft. Then I bolted everything back together.

This was an awesome improvement on my steering. It is much more responsive and feels much tighter than with the factory shaft with the rag joint. All in all this was a pretty easy upgrade. It took me about an hour to an hour and a half to complete. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

couple more pics,
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Also, Yes i did do this on my truck. I think it made the biggest difference in steering feel then any of the other stuff i have done to it.