The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Chevyman680063

Taking apart stepside bed

I haven't been on here in awhile so hey to everyone. I'm trying to take apart my stepside bed and need some info. on how to do it. It is currently off the truck, I have removed the tailgate, and was finally able to get the front bed wall off. I thought there was a section on this topic but I couldn't find one.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get the bedsides apart. It looks like there are two bolts on each side at the back attaching each side to the strip of metal that runs under the tailgate area. I also noticed it looked like the rear pockets are welded to that strip of metal as well. I know the rails that the bed wood attaches to have also got to be removed to get the bedsides apart.

Just checking to see if those bolts at the back and the welds are all I need to remove to get the bedsides apart. It would be great if I had someone who has taken apart stepside beds help me but I can't afford to pay anyone to help me right now since I was laid off last year. It sucks not having any income right now with the economy like it is so I'm trying to get some work done on my truck to take my mind off of things and it makes me happy finally being able to get some work done on it. Thanks for the help guys.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Hair

Re: Taking apart stepside bed

It was back in the Summer when I took mine apart, but as well as I can remember, yes, those two bolts have to come out, but then you also have to grind two welds loose back there. The sides are bolted and welded to the peice in the back... or at least mine was.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Silvertip1

Ditto, Hair. Just finished this up about a month ago, and besides the rust bonding that was what I had to do.

Better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Mark Twain
Silvertip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
gkesseru

I tried using a cut-off tool to cut the welds but I switched to a saws-all (reciprocating saw) with a metal blade. Much easier.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

Those welds are kind of a booger to get free. I used an angle grinder. If you decide to weld them back up make sure you sinch the sides, or brace them open so the tailgate latches properly. Don't ask how I know that.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote