The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #26
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Salvage Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris View Post
so the fact that I brought a truck form a junkyard, rebuilt it, had it inspected, retitled with a salvage title, appraised at $36000.00 and had no problems getting full coverage and I live in California does not mean anything???

Salvage titles really only affect newer cars prices. With older cars, it is more common to see salvage titles and because those cars have been completely rebuild, it really does not affect the price.

As for removing a salvage title, the only way I know that you can get around it is to last reg expire with no non-opt and wait 7-10 years for that vehicle fall off DMV record, and then you will have to go through all of the CA (lights, weight, brake) inspection and the DMV will issue a new clean title... Each state is different, you need to check with your own DMV. You are in CA, listen to the CA guys....

The truck you are looking at, the fact that is already has a salvage title means it has already been inspected and is road legal......
Exactly!! Enough said! This thread should end right here!!!! We are dealing with a 40 year old truck! Salvage title should mean nothing and anyone who comes to look at your truck in the future if they have any grasp of classic, vintage and antique vehicles, they should understand this. The only valid questions in my mind regarding a salvage title would be the frame so make sure its straight, look at the ends of the frame horns, rear frame, tire wear and look for body work or replacement panels to figure out where it was hit and how bad. Try to find out the history of why it has that salvage title but as long as the frame is straight and it is currently registered I would not run from it if it is what you want.. Now from the pictures I saw $2500 is on the high end and yes....a lot GMC's came with leaf springs.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 01-31-2010 at 07:26 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #27
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris View Post
so the fact that I brought a truck form a junkyard, rebuilt it, had it inspected, retitled with a salvage title, appraised at $36000.00 and had no problems getting full coverage and I live in California does not mean anything???
Maybe it's because your post followed mine but it seems you are directing this question at me so I will respond.

Maybe I was unclear in my earlier post. I did not mean to imply your truck is not worth 36K. What I should have said was you limit your buyers pool with a salvage title. Of the buyers out there looking to buy a 36K truck (or any price truck for that matter) there are many that will that will pass on a truck with a salvage title no matter how good the restoration is. On the other side of the coin, I doubt you can find anyone out there looking for a 36K truck that will only accept a salvage title and would pass on one just because the title was clean.

I'm not sure why this has turned into a flame war. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He asked and I voiced mine. For the price he can find one in that condition without a salvage title.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 01-31-2010 at 12:45 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

no flame war... just amazed that a person in CA whom ask for advise would ignore advise from others in CA and that every state is different and would others from non-ca states influence his opinion. those that have been buying, building, and selling cars for a long time in CA know that it does not take much for CA insurance companies to junk an older car.... Heck, even a fenderbender on one of our trucks that would require new fender and repaint is enough for CA insurance to junk the truck...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #29
Vandals909

John Fabris I did not ignore your advise. As a matter of fact I work for a large insurance company as a claims adjuster and have handled hundreds of rolling total cases. There are plenty of vehicles that are safe to drive but are considered a total due to the cost of repairs exceeding the value of the vehicle.

However with dealing with salvaged titled vehicles on a daily basis I can testify that the resale value is greatly effected. Once a vehicle has a salvaged title depending on the make and year you can almost guarantee a 30% price drop and scared potential buyers. My question was asked to see how many of your guys have salvaged titled trucks and if I should lower my expectations of finding a clean titled truck!

Again I was not ignoring your advise, and I appreciate everyone's comments!

Last edited by Vandals909; 01-31-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #30
lax54650

salvage title should not scare you. if you are sure of the condition of the truck. i would much rather have a branded southern truck that has no had major rust repair than a clean titled truck that has had say inner roof skin replaced.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote