The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
MSL

Oil pan

Dang i was looking on summit theres no way i can afford a 200 to even a 100 dollar oil pan. so what is cheaper but better than the stocker. or is there.lol Thanks
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
CT-Truckster
?

well what ever you do don't the 40$ chrome oil pan like they sell at autozone. i just put one on a 383 i'm building for a freind. he wanted a chrome oil pan and i tried to talk him out of buying that one but he said thats all he could afford. well i didn't fit worth a crap. the side of the pan where bowed in just enough for the crank to rub on the sides of the pan. took a rubber hammer beat it out a little to clear the crank then i had to drill the holes out a little cause they didn't line up good enough with the holes in the block to get the bolts in. and know it's gonna leak cause it's not a good fit around the timing cover or the the rear main. i'm still trying to talk him into getting a decent pan before we put it in the car. i told him when the oil starts pouring out don't come cryin to me. he's like well maybe i can take that one back, yeah after i done beat the hell out of it and stuff. i'm sure they'll give him a refund.
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:38 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I agree. Stay away from the cheap chrome ones. They're not worth the trouble. Besides who wants to clean a chrome oil pan all the time? If anything for now stick with a stock pan that you have or get a stock replacement from Milodan. Summit carries them for about $80. If you stick with the one you have go ahead and replace the bolt and gasket while you're there. While it's out clean it out inside and out, clean all the gasket seals off and paint it. It will look good as new for the a cheaper price.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
MSL

I would never go with a chrome oil pan i have never liked the idea of those on there. as formy stock oil pan well it is trashed when i got the truck the pan is smashed on the bottom looks like someone jacked the truck up on it and it leaks. so im going to just get a replacment stocker like you mentioned.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:11 AM   #5
MSL

Also im going to be replacing the timing chain so should i put the timing cover on first then the oil pan or the oil pan first then the timing cover or does it matter.?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

take the oil pan off then take off the timing cover do your chain then put back the timing case cover back first then the oil pan makes it easier that way and try using a one piece gasket for the oil pump

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
MSL

Hey thanks i will get a one pieace gasket for the oil pump and do it in that order.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Make sure to replace the timing chain and gears and even the water pump if need be. Cheap insurance for sure.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
MSL

Ya i have a long list of thing to do and the chain is one of them the water pump i just bought about a month ago.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:01 PM   #10
MSL

Hey is this a good oil pan to buy i need one and this is a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38657