The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Need some HONEST opinions on my truck

Hey All,
I had my truck up for sale on ebay last week and the high bid got stuck at $510 (and that was a co-worker who just signed onto ebay. He wanted something to bid on and my pickup was the first thing he tried. His high bid was $510). My reserve was $2200 for a 1982 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 crewcab pickup. The truck has a rebuilt 454, transmission and transfer. The body is shot, but I had another almost complete body if the bidding hit in the neighborhood of $2700. Anyway...NO ONE was interested. It was almost embarrassing. Here is a picture of the truck and the link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2412350211

Was my reserve out of line? I didn't think it was at the time I posted. What should I do? A couple of friends said to part it out. (on ebay???) If I do that, I have a 1970 Chevy pickup that I'm rebuilding that I would love to put the 454 into. (I have a 350 lined up for it now). Repost it with a lower reserve?

I'm really open to suggestions. Oh...and no smart remarks about the F**d seats in the truck. They are nice seats. LOL
I would also prefer constructive critisism and not out and out telling me what a piece of crap my truck is for $2200.

See my website listed below for additional info on this truck.
Thanks
Mike

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I dont have to trash your truck you did quite a job of doing thaton your own in the ad.
i woud fix a couple of the small items like the horn and make the shop fix the transfer case and possibly prime the truck to make it look nicer
I would bolt down the back seat, and i would say truck needs paint and floor pans but youll include a parts cab. If the bed (couldnt tell if it was suppoused to be a dually) needs a wheel house put that on from a scrap bed
the whole idea is to make the vehicle sound good not like youve got aheap of crap to unload on a sucker also the ad was kind of long try to keep it shorter and sweet
just my $.02 hope it helps

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
apstguy
LED King

It was too long. Keep descriptions shorter than you have them. Don't put so much into the bad part - just say what is broken and say no more.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah, the ad was long, but I also did not want the high bidder mad if the truck had sold. I tried not to be misleading and felt complete honesty was the best policy. I might try rewriting the ad and maybe repost it on Monday. I'll wait for some more opinions first.
Thanks!
Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
CRRoy71

I agree with everyone else, don't make it sound like such a heap.
Just say whats wrong with it in as few words as possible.

I would also get the transfer case fixed, and make sure the gears are the same in both the front and back.

Someone help me out on this, but if the gears are not the same in the front and the back, would this be causing the transfer case to pop out of low range?

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Here is what I came up with for the new ad:

This is a 1982 Chevy 1-Ton Crewcab 4x4 truck.

The truck has a rebuilt 454 engine and a rebuilt Turbo 400 transmission. Both items have around 20,000 miles on them. The transfer is rebuilt, however it jumps out of low in four wheel drive. High four and high two work just fine.

Front brakes are new. The front axle is out of a 3/4-ton pickup and is not the original one ton axle. The tires are decent with about 50% of the tread left. The tire size is LT 285/75R16.

The seats are out of a Ford Continental and both have full power. I do not have them hooked up, but I tried them out when I first bought them. All of the motors work. The rear seat needs to be mounted yet.

There is a receiver hitch on the back of the truck.

The body is shot, however I will throw in a cab (with all the bodywork done) and eight doors. Four of the doors are in great shape and are stripped to the shell. The other four doors are dented but have power windows and locks. I'll also throw in two good front fenders. The box is not in great shape and may be easier to replace it than fix it.

The truck has dual fuel tanks, but only one of them is hooked up.

The truck needs work. I have a good portion of the parts needed to complete this truck. I have too many things going on in my life right now and this truck is one of the things that needs to go.

How is that compared to the original ad? Like I said, I don't want to be misleading. I'd rather keep the truck and let it rot than lie to get it sold. I also would prefer not to work on the truck anymore than I need to. Fixing the transfer is not an option.
Thanks!
Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-02-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Chris,
That was my thought too. I was wondering if having two different axle ratios was causing the transfer case to jump out of low range. If it is different, I need to sell the truck as-is. I am not putting any more money into this thing than I have too. I'd almost rather part it out and use the engine in my other project.

Oh...I was going to throw in the body parts (everything except the box) and maybe even lower the reserve to $2000.

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Quote:
Originally posted by CRRoy71
I agree with everyone else, don't make it sound like such a heap.
Just say whats wrong with it in as few words as possible.

I would also get the transfer case fixed, and make sure the gears are the same in both the front and back.

Someone help me out on this, but if the gears are not the same in the front and the back, would this be causing the transfer case to pop out of low range?
No. Secondly, it would happen with 4wd high too. Having different gearing front and back is a BIG NO-NO! i know some people try to justify it by running different size tires, but that's a load of BS. The only way to get it even close is to run matching sets of gears, and even then you're never 100% dead on, just close enough so it won't matter.
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
low 84

if you REALLY want to get about 2500 out of it, spend two weekends and swap cabs, then primer the rest of the truck. that should make it worth more in that range. if not i would at least primer it now ho it sits (all the diff colors just really make it look unappealing) and go to the scrap yard and give em 20 buck for a half way decent grill. make it look like it'll drive around without pieces falling off. that add is mych better also

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #10
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Oh boy Ryan,
The grille DID fall out while I was driving. LOL
The truck really is not that bad. I think instead of priming it, I'll just buy a gallon of Rust-O-Leum paint and repaint the thing red. $25 and a weekend and it will look like new. Almost. From a distance. Maybe a block back or so. LOL

Switching cabs is not an option either. There is no way I have time right now to do something like that. I did that a couple of years ago and that was a time killer. Time is something I am not in great supply of.
Thanks for the help so far!
Mike
PS...keep giving me something to reply to. I need 100 posts to get my avatar!

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-02-2003, 10:37 PM   #11
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

One other thing. What is an easy way to check the ratio of the axles? Can I just jack the front end up and turn the wheel one rotation and count the rotations on the input flange? Then repeat it on the rear?
Thanks
Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 05-03-2003, 01:35 AM   #12
apstguy
LED King

That new add is MUCH better! I agree with the grille and primer. Should sell after that.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:34 AM   #13
chevychic

If you plan on having the listing of parts that go with it in your next ebay listing, I would suggest tying them into the picture. Either have someone you know place some text on the picture so they know what they're looking at or indicate something in your item listing, but keep it brief. One picture in particular is this one with all the parts in the bed. To me it looks like you've got a load of junk to haul to the dump. Especially with the quart of oil sitting there. Clean it up a bit and label the pics or something so people have a clear idea of what it is you're including. You want to provide info in an instance so they don't have to spend time trying to decipher anything.

To be honest, unless the truck is painted as suggested and a couple of hours were spent giving it some TLC, I wouldn't pay $2200.00, even with a 454 and dually. Not to offend you or anything, but you wanted opinions....
Attached Images

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:45 AM   #14
TIMSPEED

I'd sure like to have some of those good doors and fenders
Old 05-03-2003, 05:50 AM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I have to agree with everyone else. Replace the ad, primer, and be straight with them bt don't be too negative like you were before. Mention that the parts you're throwing in are enough to haev a complete truck ready to go. Even better place the items on the truck (doors, trim, grill,etc.) and then paint it. This will keep the amount of stuff that the buyer has to install later. This can help the selling points being that the doors that need to be on there already are. Go over all the negative things that you posted on the auction and fix as much as you can for minimal price but not skimping too much. One last thing- Paint that air cleaner all one color. Looks like it was pieced together too much.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #16
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Thanks for the input! I appreciate this. You are all catching things that I never even thought of and now that they are pointed out to me, I feel about half stupid.

Chevychic...I'm not offended. I wanted honest opinions and I'm getting them. There were well over 1000 hits on the ad, so I'm sure there were alot of people sharing the same sentiment about not paying $2200 for the truck. I'm not sure if you remember, but you have a link on your website to my website for the rebuild of this truck. THe truck is also a single rear wheel and not a dually. I can't remember if the pics showed that clearly.

Too many things going on and not enough time. I'm getting the projects down to a 1970 Chevy pickup which I need to finish and my wife's kitchen remodel. The 70 has been in the family for 20+ years.

In the last year, I've sold a 1950 Pontiac, a 1950 Ford Panel, a 1977 Lincoln Continental, my toy collection going back to the 70's (Star Wars, Star Trek, AFX, model cars, etc), so I'm slowing getting things somewhat organized. Also closed my part time computer business and sold one of our rental properties that was going to need some work.

The guys over on the 67-72 board are telling me to put the 454 in the 70.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the truck yet. But if it goes back on ebay, I will definately make some changes.

Timspeed, if I part the truck, the parts will be up for sale.

Thanks for all the opinons so far!! This has been great!
Mike
PS...I think I only need 25 more posts to get an avatar. I guess I could go post some LOLs on some joke pages.
Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup