The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
bobby866

Speaker Question

Hey I have a 69 GMC project that i am working on and i am just at the point of doing the stereo i have the kick panel speakers and i am contemplating on just installing the speaker on the passenger side because the dimmer switch and the park break are in the way i am also installing a dual voice cone speaker under the dash right about the stereo deck and i am putting the custom auto sound undercover II speakers under the seats just wondering if i am going to notice an uneven sound with only one kick panel speaker. or if you have any suggestions on how to mount the speaker on the drivers side a little more easily without moving all that stuff
bobby866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Frankie Humphries

Re: Speaker Question

i dont understand why you cant just make the drivers side fit

but you could just take the speakers out of the kick panel kit and mount them in the bottom of the door or the door panel itself. i put my 6s in the bottom right corner on my door.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
dmnall

Trust me, I would say mount them in the door as well, Speakers in the Kick Panels get abused the most.. I did this on my long bed 68 and when I move the system to my short bed, the doors are getting cut...

Cheers,
Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
grs

Don't put the speakers under the seat. I did and I took them out. They sounded real muffled. I put them in the doors. 6x9 inches.
You will have to trim the door panel panel. Not hard to do.
Attached Images

Last edited by grs; 02-24-2010 at 07:07 PM.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
bobby866

thanks guys i am just not big on cutting the doors. i will just have to figure is out. I have cut the doors on a previous project and i wasn't impressed really.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby866 View Post
thanks guys i am just not big on cutting the doors. i will just have to figure is out. I have cut the doors on a previous project and i wasn't impressed really.
Another option I am contemplating that I got from somebody on this board (don't remember who) is to cut out and fill the speaker grille in the center of the dash and install two new grilles and mounts for 4x6 plate speakers outboard of the defrost vents. Naturally you won't get much bass response but that can be resolved with one or two 8-10 inch "low-profile" subs mounted under the seat. If you relocate the fuel tank you could use this space for the subs too. I would think that having your front speakers firing off the windshield- you'd get a more neutral sound image, but what do I know- I'm just some schmuck with a heap of junk in my garage!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
bobby866

ya i am not looking for like a huge stereo that i am gonna be having up loud because i mean there is no better sound than the ruble of the exhaust i just don't want it to sound totally uneven. i am no expert either dingfodgy i just like working on my truck in my spare time really relaxes a guy
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Quote:
ya i am not looking for like a huge stereo that i am gonna be having up loud because i mean there is no better sound than the ruble of the exhaust i just don't want it to sound totally uneven. i am no expert either dingfodgy i just like working on my truck in my spare time really relaxes a guy
True that! Nonetheless, when a good song comes on the radio or you have your fave's queue'd up off the Ipod or rip-disk, it sure is nice to have the goods to play it loud-n-proud. But like yourself- I just like to tinker on the shawty in the shop and drive the "big playa" au naturale, with just the sweet, sweet sound of an 8-part harmony......know what I'm sayin'?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
bobby866

oh ya for sure i know what your saying!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
AustinScott

A-men to that! gotta luv the 8 piece rumble!
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Have you considered removing the kick panel doors and putting 6x9s in those holes?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
jeffro788

I just put the kick panels in and the only thing that is a slight problem is the emergency brake, which i am going to bend a little to clear it, not much though. The dimmer switch is not an issue at all, but you will have to trim the passenger side on the front of the panel.
Realizing you don't want a loud sound system, you will still probably hate not having a speaker on both sides. I have 6x9s under the seat facing the front of the cab and 6.5's in the kick panels all running off an amp. Honestly the only reason I have an amp is that the radio that I put in which is a factory look-a-like I think retroradio and when you hook up a mp3 player it wouldn't get loud enough to hear.
If you don't do the kick panels at all, then you can run the dual speaker that mounts in the dash factory location. that would sound better and not look as bad as one speaker.
1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 w-30 - original
jeffro788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
D-Rat

I didn't want to cut the doors either, so I used the existing door panel screws and some adhesive to just put some boxes I made on the doors.

Not the most attractive thing in the world, but it's definitely effective and the truck is no worse off for it.

There's a thread about my install and making the boxes here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376978

www.nissan4wheelers.com
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Here's mine...(still unfinished).

Info here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=229707

The parking brake, and dimmer switch are in the original locations and do not interfere.

The speakers are Infinity Reference's I think - 6.5"s and they are pretty good.
I mounted 2 Infinity Kappa 693's (6x9) under the seat, and they sound great - but they are a pretty high end speaker. Mine is also being driven by an amp...you want to get everything you can out of what you got.

DLB

Last edited by Orange; 02-25-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
D-Rat

nice touch on the head unit location and the custom heater panel there!

www.nissan4wheelers.com
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
just wondering if i am going to notice an uneven sound with only one kick panel speaker.
I had a 6.5 go out in my s10 that was in the door panel on the driver side, and it definetly sounded unbalanced. There are even speakers in the dash on both sides that were still working, and you could really notice it. I wouldn't recommend trying to run only the pass side.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
gots2fish

you can burn up your stereo by putting different loads on your right and left channels!
gots2fish is offline   Reply With Quote