The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: "You spend to much time on that stupid truck"

As most have said..."Balance" is the operative word. I have my project out in the shop that I spend a good deal of time on. However, I don't skimp on my other obligations. I go to work everyday, the grass is always mowed, the gutters cleaned, I always carve out time to take my daughter to the park and to her dance/art classes, accompany the wife to Costco, etc. We take care of the important stuff and decide together what to do with our "play money". Sometimes we decide to remodel the kitchen, other times it's a nice trip, or maybe "papa" can summon Santa's "Brown-Sleigh" to deliver some new toys. We don't sweat much about the $$- because she spends way more on her shoes, bags, dogs, cats, rabbits, hair, nails, etc, etc.
She respects my hobbies and understands that I enjoy it- therefore she provides and much encouragement as she can muster.
It'll be 10 years in November....it's all good brotha's!!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I can relate to this situation with a girl in my past. but my GF now is A1 perfect!. If I want to work on my truck she lets me, helps me, orders parts for me, whatever I need. s long as I take care of her she lets me be me. I treat her to flowers, cards, whatever I can whenever I can. I buy parts for her truck ( she would rather have EBC yellow stuff pads versus a cheap pad) and has great tastes!
WE both have quads, and jet skis and she will allow me to do whatever to them and is willing to help with them too.

I honestly cannot ask for a better woman then her!
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #28
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I've been married for close to 9 years now and my wife is supportive of my hobby, but like others have said it has to be in balance. If I'm not taking care of my other priorities she lets me know, but when I have free time/money she has no problem with me playing with my toys. She knows that I have my 68 gmc, my 01 tahoe (new toy), and my dirt bike and says I can do whatever I want to them (within reason). And she has her 02 mustang convertable, her 41 gmc 3/4 flatbed, and her cloths/shoes/nails/bags/sewing/etc. so we are pretty even. We just started doing a few car shows and she is into that (we've showed her truck, mines not there yet) so that was cool. and like others said she is willing to give me a hand bleeding brakes and other little stuff, but my son is 8 now so he is starting to take over the little chores. I'm just happy that I can count myself lucky that my hobby isn't a battle with the wifey, because if she not happy no one is!

PS: here's a couple pics of my wifes 41 at the oroville car show last summer. She inherited it from her grandpa after he lost his 5 year battle with cancer, and her grandma knew how much she love his truck. It still lives at her grandma's but we take it out to car shows whenever we have time.

68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
When I was younger I had a good older friend tell me "Its hard to sleep with a truck". You have to find balance and someone who appreciates your hobby, if not things can be tough. I am lucky, my wife understands and leaves me alone, but it requires that I understand about her hobbies and leave her alone.

My wife has few hobbies but she came to understand over the years that when I worked on the truck I wasn't on a bar stool or up to something else that I probably shouldn't be doing. Plus she has got to go on a lot of road trips over the years when we went to events.

But If I had to do it again I'd find a gal who had her own crafts and hobbies that she needed the same amount of time for that I needed for my cars and trucks. You might have to build her a craft room or share some room for her craft stuff but she won't be complaining that she is bored sitting in the house while you work on that damned truck again.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
gonzo6869
Cops, ha, catch me if you can!

Wow, it sounds like most of you guys are lucky and have found someone who understands and or appreciate our hobby. I tried to split my time with the truck and Ex, but she was to high maintenance, so that did not work. Well, as said a couple of time, I have to find the one who is ok with it, or maybe even wanting to participate. Its no big lost for me, as I said she was high maintenance, time to move on. I am glad to hear most of you have found the right one.
Edelbrock intake and Carb
Hooker Comp Headers
275/60R15 on Rallies

gonzo6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #31
MESS-HALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
A little controversy is good for a marriage...keeps things interesting.
LMFAO.........then I should stay married for a loooooooooooong time.

oh.......you said a little, not alot

on a lighter note, my buddy has been seeing a girl for a few months, I brought my truck over to "tinker" and she grabbed a wrench, got under the truck and started to take off my starter. I think my jaw actually hit both my feet.........she's definitely a keeper, haven't met one that wants to wrench with the boy yet, except for her.
71' C10 LWB/383/
72' C10 SWB/350/T350
15' Crew Silverado/6.2

Last edited by MESS-HALL; 02-27-2010 at 06:14 PM.
MESS-HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6869 View Post
My reply to her was "this truck has been around way before you and will be here long after your gone".
I had a girl friend like that once and, no lie, that's word for word what I said too. At the time I lived in MS and she in GA. That was a long drive home in Old Yeller but I've never regretted it.

One year later I met my future bride who is now my wife of 12 years. She loved my truck and even helped me install the 5 bolt rearend and posi unit when we were engaged. No surprise then that we drove Old Yeller on our honey moon. To top it off, when she received her $5000 inheritance from her grandmother she gave it all to me so I could restore Old Yeller. Now that is a woman worth waiting for!

Wow, I need to go do something nice for my sweetie.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #33
stueber68
1968 C20 Vortec Beast

My wife went and found herself a 72 GMC short narrow for us to build and bought me a Harley so she could be on the back. I don't think I have anything to worry about.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #34
67chevy2wd

I told my wife back when we first started dating that if she ever tried to make me choose it would not side with her. No problems yet other than she like to save money and I like to spend it. We compromise and it all works out, works out good for me since I can pick up overtime as I need to help pay for things.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #35
Hubscrub
Cruzin

yea i chose my car over a gal i was getting into datein she came out and told me she didn't like my 86 monte carlo ss i drove and that she liked the little "new" cars i never called her again but i met my wife in 01 and been married about 2 years now and she LOVES 67-72 chevys and don't care how much time i spend with my project 71 and we got her a 67 project last fall
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #36
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

My story is similar to some and different than others. My first wife hated the 67 and asked me to sell it many times, never did...She cheated on me the first time I went to Iraq. Truck was there to pick up the pieces, actually got alot of work done on Heaven during that divorce. Got remarried, she said oh I love the truck and then eventually, after not giving me anytime to work on it, she told me to sell it or else. Like an idiot I did, but was smart enough to sell it to a friend and made the agreement that if he ever got rid of it I was to be the first call. That marriage ended because of my third tour to Iraq, but as most of you who know me know, I got Heaven back at the end of that tour from Iraq. I am seeing a girl now, the first thing I told her was that working on cars was a hobby of mine. It calms me down. She loves it! She wants to help and eventually if things keep down the good path, we are going to get her a project for us to build together. I cant wait actually! I will never ever get rid of Heaven again for a woman! My 19 mth old son will drive Heaven eventually!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #37
knsmodels
I make Models

when I met my now wife I was driving a 87 Monte SS that was very sleek looking but when I picked her up for our first date I pulled up in my 72 K/10....lol.....she asked where my other car was but I told her that only comes out on nice days this is my dd.....she hated that "green" truck back then but at least she knew what she was getting into.....lol......that was 13yrs ago and since I restored the "green" truck it has grown on her....

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #38
fbird68

My wife and I have been married for coming on 8 years. She is an ex farm girl but not into trucks, cars or even my old JD garden tractors. She doesn't even like the smell of the shop. She does realize and respect the fact that my shop and what I do in there is who I am, just like I respect her and her interests.
If you are asked to choose between who you are and and her..there are going to be problems.
It really helps if you can make money on the side to fund your your projects rather than draw from the house budget. I found that out within the first year. lol

Richard

1971 C10 Custom
1964 Impala 2dr Hardtop
1965 Parisienne CS
1937 Nash Lafayette
1947 Willys CJ-2A
fbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #39
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Yeah I couldn't ask for a better woman when it comes to my hobbies or should I say, obsessions lol. I will drop money on the trucks, build a new rifle, buy a new surfboard, new guitar etc. And she is always cool with it, well most of the time lol.

It is important though to try to manage your time between them and your hobbies. But our hobbies are what make us, us. Don't ever give up your interests, just learn to manage the two together.

Well, unless your hobby is smoking crack, then that's a whole other issue lol.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #40
70Custom10Nut

Ackattack, I can tell you what I did. Wife and I met at a park and she approached me because she liked my Jeep CJ-7 (BTW She was driving her own Pickup). Long story short, Marriage and two little ones later. Things for the truck went on hold every now and then, But the number of hours that my son spent with me working on, replacing parts, and searching for parts in the salvage yard, cannot be replaced. They're priceless (also taught my daughter how to do a tune up and change tires for her Girl Scout project). As I've said before, 23 years this summer with a wonderful woman and I wouldn't change a thing. Bottom line with the give and take, invest the time with her now and you will reap the dividends later. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #41
MONTE

My wife just wants project "Ghost" finished. She's bought me all my parts. All she wants wants in return is kids. That being said, going on number 3.
MONTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #42
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTE View Post
My wife just wants project "Ghost" finished. She's bought me all my parts. All she wants wants in return is kids. That being said, going on number 3.
If I had to spit kids out in return for my garage fun I would be screwed!!!

Id have little ones everywhere!!!!
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote