The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
NicoSlam

20" boss 315

I found some used 20" Boss 315 for sale. I went to look at them yesterday and I wanted to know if they would fit on my truck. Saturday I will take the truck to try one on but I wanted to get the opinion of anyone with experience. I have a 69SWB with a 4/6 ECE drop. the rims are 20x8" or 8.5 the offset around 5.5" with 305x50x20 tires.
Attached Images

NicoSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
epashhans

Re: 20" boss 315

I did this exact thing with my wheels last fall. Mine came off a mid 90's 4x4chevy extended cab, so it has the same 6 bolt as my 67. The main problem is the center hub is too large. Thats the biggest problem I ran into. With the offset, it almost works perfect in the front if you need to tuck, which you will have to with a 4/6. I was also worried about the tire size which was quite large (the guy had these on a 4x4) at 275/55/20. With a 305/55 you might be in the same boat...and I think width will be your biggest issue...I am not sure it will work. You could always get the rims and swith to different tires to make them work too. Mine clears pretty close, although I have a 3/5 and haven't tried them with the big block sitting in it. By my measurements it should work. I wanted the bigger tire size because I hate the rubber-band tire look and ride on the oversized rims. The rear is quite easy with spacers. I think it turned out pretty good...and way cheaper than new wheels...although these are like brand new.

So an overview of what I ended up doing:

Front: To deal with the hub size being different than the wheel (too small on the wheel) I used a 1/2 inch aluminum spacer that slides over lugs bolts. This will clear the hub. Then i put in longer lug bolts (got them from carquest), as spacing it out was just enough to make me worry I wasn't going to have enough lug thread to trust. Then I got new lug nuts. Worked slick.

Back: I bought some billet aluminum 1.5 inch spacers...mid 90's chevy spacers...and bolted them on. Fits almost perfect for backspacing. I might try 1.75" or 2"s to see how they fit, but I won't really know until I can drive it down the road. I measured about a million times, but when you actually put everything together it came out a little close on the inside, but I think it will be fine. So you need lug nuts for your lug bolts on your axle...then the 90's chevy spacer, which your wheel will bolt to, has different size lugnuts, so you will have to pic some of those up. I got everything I needed in one trip to a local tire/wheel shop.

Here are some pics of the truck with the wheels on. I think all the stuff to make these wheels fit was around $100-$150. Not bad when I figured in how much I saved on buying these wheels. And I can also use these wheels on my 2008 silverado as well! There are quite a few guys on here that have done this as well, so they might chime in with other ways. Hope this helped.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: 20" boss 315

bump...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote