The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
team39763

Any tips for installing lexan windshield?

I'm on a quest to get my truck as light as possible and this polycarbonate windshield is at that top of my list. My old windshield is cracked up pretty bad anyway. Truck is a 82 C10. Material is 1/8" thick flat sheet.
Do I need to make a frame around the perimeter or can I bolt it to the cab itself?
I'm planning to use one support brace behind it or should I use more than one?
How do I go about getting the general shape?...trace over the old windshield(if it's still in one piece)?
Do I need to use bolts with nuts or can I use some kind of screws?
Should I use a glue or silicone of some kind?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by team39763; 03-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.
team39763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
wheatlandbrawler

Re: Any tips for installing lexan windshield?

when i did the windows in my malibu i made a frame because i think it looks kinda crappy if the window is counter sunk to much. i used copper tubing thin wall its easy to shape by hand but strong enough it wont collapse when you put it in. 1 brace in the middle will be enough. but heres how i did mine.

1 remove old windshield and back tape and paint the inner windsheild frame ( i blacked mine out)

2 make your frame, like i said i used copper tubing, and get your shape formed. drill out some holes through out that frame that you can screw, bolt, rivet to your windshield frame.

3 lay out your lexand sheet and place your frame on it and trace it and cut it out. (make sure you take your time making your frame or when you trace it out it will look like crap)

4 after you get your window cut out trace a 2 inch line in from the edge of the window and paint it. (leave your protective plastic on except for where you trim to paint) this will cover up your frame and give a nice clean look.

5 install your frame, put a thin bead of silicone around the frame and set your window in. then start riveting it in. and your all done

if you plan on only racing it or only driving it at night then its a good choice. but you cant use windshield wipers anymore, and driving during the day sucks cuz the glare. and it scratches very easily.