The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Project Progress?

The bottom of the frame on my '54 GMC 1-ton project has needed to be cleaned, de-rusted and prepped for painting. Some of it is pretty ugly.

Since I plan to paint it with POR 15 and since this is a work truck not a show truck, I've been inclined to clean it up and then just wire brush it to prep it. I have a little sand blaster but my compressor really isn't big enough to do the job right and getting this thing outside upside down wasn't going to be fun.

I'm also going to be away until probably July and was annoyed that this project was taking the bottom 3 feet of a stall that is more than 12 feet high while my '55 1st GMC Suburban is sitting outside in the weather.

My solution, which seems a little like progress given my need to clean this thing, was to flip it up on its side.

Pardon the mess.

In the past I've leaned frames against the 8 x 8 post to make removing brackets easier and to allow me to do it at my leisure. Its always been trucks I was parting out, not ones that are current projects.

I already had the rear suspension apart for spring refurbishing and new bushings and pins. Pulling the front suspension off was not difficult because only half the bolts were in anyway. I'm converting this truck to the IFS from a '72 C-10 and haven't quite got that finished yet.

After yanking the suspension I chained my cherry picker to the passenger side just back of the running board and lifted it up and set it on some blocks and leaning against the frame that is against the post. I put a jack stand under the rear and a strap there too just to make sure it doesn't easily get loose and I chained the frame to the 8 x 8 post.

Tomorrow I'll move the suspension pieces to the front of the stall, sweep the floor and pull my Suburban inside.

And that will probably mark the end of my projects till I can return in July or August. If I manage any more work it will probably just be reasembling and painting the rear springs.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
NONHOG

Re: Project Progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post

sweep the floor and pull my Suburban inside.
Just in time to miss "April showers" !