The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
wheatlandbrawler

PROJECT bottle baby 68 short wide. part deux.

ok guys heres the deal i posted this up in a build thread in another sub category i guess you would call it and where i posted it up the guys just are not into what im doing. so im reposting the thread here in hopes of getting a little more feedback on the whole set up and just support in general.

well guys uncle sam said i could come home. so what better way to spend my off time then to work on my true love. im not building a 100k riddlers truck. im building a street ruler, strip contender haha. im 22 years old and everything i have done to this truck i have done my self and im always excited to learn and feel the final results any input that my fellow TRUXERS have is always appreciated.

BUILD INFO

1968 c-10 short wide (aquired at 16 years old) after wich i totaled. the old man said have fun heres a tool box. been hooked ever since.

rear running gear is a 9inch with 33 spline axles, full spool, and 3:55 gears. coil overs and factory trailing arms that i have boxed in. with a home made adjustable pan hard bar.

front suspension is a 87 front end, disc brakes, c notched and boxed in. factory spindles. competition engineering drag shocks.

the best part! THE ENGINE AND DRIVE GEAR.
388 small block. callies crank, eagle forged rods, JE pistons. dart pro 1 cnc ported aluminum heads. comp hydraulic roller cam. victor jr. port matched and epoxied intake with 1 inch milled off the top for a wilson tapered spacer. nitrous express twin gemini plate system with a NANO system. msd distributor, MSD 6al box, MSD timing retard box. jacobs nitrous master mind. the real fun part richmond 5 speed with a mcleoud triple disc clutch.

the truck will run a full 3 inch exhaust and set on weld pro star wheels.

the body will get a good rub down at the end of this summer.

hope you guys enjoy as i post pics through the build. the combo has changed a few times and im sure it will change a few more times as i get further into it.

every part listed i have allready and just waiting for a lil warmer weekend to stab everything and get to tuning.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheatlandbrawler; 03-02-2010 at 05:05 PM.
wheatlandbrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
wheatlandbrawler

Re: PROJECT bottle baby 68 short wide. part deux.

the previous pictures are of some suspension work i did myself to make her grab a little harder its seemed to of worked out for me so far. recessing the engine back 3 inches made a huge difference as well. the next pictures are of the front end its factory 87. i did some lighting work on it and clearencing work on it as well. all new bushings comp trick drag springs and comp drag shocks. and the old engine coming out and the new engine going in. then i will post odds and ends pics as i go. hope you guys enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
wheatlandbrawler

heres some more pictures of the front end before i rebuilt it after putting it on a diet and dressin it up with some go fast goods. and then theirs some random pictures from a few years ago thrown in the mix as well. so i apologize if they are misleading.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
wheatlandbrawler

ok guys so here is the truck RITE this very moment setting in my garage while i put the new combo togeather. this should clear up any misleading the previous pictures have given. the front end is not under the truck yet. the new short block is built. the old engine is out and thats where im at for rite now. more soon.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
wheatlandbrawler

and is it just me or is the last picture just awesome? staring at me with two engines settin their hahahaha. i love it. as im sure you guys can appreciate my excitement over it lol.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
cableguy0

Looks good. Now all ya need is a few camaros,vettes and mustangs to spank badly and all is well.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
wheatlandbrawler

ya the old engine should have done that just fine BUT... i had a stock HEI distributor with a cap adapt and external coil with 6al box. the diode on a stock distributor is a lower resistance diode it melted the inside of the cap and the rotor. how it ran at all i have no idea haha. then mother nature blew the side of the block out. but thanks for the input!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
wheatlandbrawler

UPDATE: well if anyones following my build here. i came home happy today. my comp engineering drag shocks came in today 3 way adjustables. and my springs came in as well. so i will be posting up some pictures of the entire front end swap this weekend! i also got rid of the power steering and went to a manual gear box. my griffin radiator came in today to.

i do need some help though. as you guys can see i have chose to keep that godly thing hanging off my firewall called a heater haha. (i live in kansas and id rive my truck on a very regular basis) so any ideas on how to clean it up and make it look good? i was thinking of making a sheet metal box to cover it all up?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
LongSixEight

What is that nine inch out of and whats the width wms to wms. Thinking of doing what youve done but adding an anti-roll set up. Thanks
LongSixEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
wheatlandbrawler

sorry im not sure i know what you mean wms to wms? i can measure from end to end for ya. and its out of a early 80s bronco. big bearing housing. just clarify WMS for me sorry about that.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
djracer

Wheel Mounting Surface

I'm diggin the Build but I like Autos.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
wheatlandbrawler

hey i appreciate it DJ, not to get to much of a brown nose but you have no idea how much i was in love with your truck before you went fleet side haha but its still a bad ass truck! the whole time i was in iraq that truck was my screen saver and desktop.

it would be faster with the auto... i used to have a th-400 manual reverse valve body, trans brake and neal chance 4,200 stall but it took the streetability out of it the trans over heated to much and the stall was to big for the street. the 5 speed is fun though.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Wild83C10

I'm with you on the 3 pedals, it's the only way to drive.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
wheatlandbrawler

something about the stick, makes even a sunday cruize fun. i feel like i have more control over driving when i have a manny.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Heavy383Chevy

Love it
Heavy383Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote