The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
mexgrhd68

Exclamation Re: What would YOU do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post

even though it sounds your mind is set with selling it as a whole which is why I responded the way I did above. I do know people looking for projects but it seems more are looking for a good cab or a good bed, fenders, etc. and you have some great parts including the uninstalled ones. Most of the other parts you mentioned wouldn't add as much to the value of a project as they would bring individually.
leave in primer only and no body mods
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #27
69 longhorn

Re: What would YOU do?

[QUOTE=ChevLoRay;3848267]When I bought it in '99, it was primer over white paint, with a greenish caste. Yet, I didn't bat an eye at that fact in that it was pretty solid. That's the good thing, and the bad. Rust is minimal, but where it is it ain't been good. Rockers and floors were replaced. But, the P.O. used some non-automotive silicone sealer that caused some rusting where it shouldn't have been. So, the shaving the firewall is a reasonable fix. It had factory air, yet the thinking on my part is that anyone who wanted air would probably want a new system with a cleaner look on that firewall. The bed is rust-free. There is a minor spot on the passenger door, where dirt/water accumulate at the bottom of the inner door. Not a problem at all.

I know the argument about leaving it in primer, so the points are well made and agreed. Paint is like you said, and like I thought...if you like it, fine. If not, the expense to repaint is there. The bed has been coated with Vortex, but below the top of the bed.

I have a butt-load of parts. The original engine/transmission was running when I pulled it out. I have a new windshield and all the rubber with new trim. new outer door handles; Interior stuff in red, except for a seat cover. I have a 98 Tahoe 2nd row seat for that, in tan leather. New dash bezel. Dash still uncut, but I have a Mahanian billet trim piece to accomodate a DIN-sized radio. It has Wheel Vintiques rallye wheels with hot rod trim rings and police caps. Fronts are 15x8, while the rears are 15x10. Discs up front and 6-lug all the way around.

It's somewhat of a downer to admit that I shouldn't have started on the project, but I was recovering from my stroke and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, I know that there's more for me to consider....like my time with my family doing things together. Not that the car scene isn't a family-oriented concept....because it is. I have no one to help me at home with it and it isn't right to ask others for their time/talent. I don't beg.

Based on these responses, I'll go for a primer/sealer finish that will seal the body work from the weather. It should be a smooth body with tons of potential....and it will be solid. We've only found one place on the passenger door that had any filler in it. The rest of the body, including the bed, was free of any evidence. I had the bed and front cap soda-blasted, so it was clean as could be.

Thanks for your input. It was what I had expected to hear, and I appreciate your support for my decision.

My health is one reason for selling. Not having a place to reassemble it is another.[/QUOTE I feel for the spot you are in, after 25 yrs playin on the old Longhorn, I am pretty burned out. I have a little hotrod sportster that I am playing with......but the little bioch eats all my extra cash! I have thought of selling the old truck,but in primer/unfinished, she is probably worth more broke up in parts ,than as a complete project. Busted up into parts, you have to sell every last pc to make the bucks back(hard call).best of luck,crazyAL