The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Snap-on Warranty replacement

It's never happened before, but this weekend I finally broke my first snap-on tool. Anybody know how hard it is to get them to replace something? I know I just need to get in touch with my local route guy, but I wanted to ask a key question on here, first:

Do you think that putting a cheater pipe on a 3/8" Breaker bar with a 15mm socket on it is abusing the tool?

I don't have a 1/2" drive 15mm, so my options were this, or a 1/2" x 3/8" adapter on my 1/2" breaker bar. I've broken enough of those adapters to want to go another way...

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Snap-on Warranty replacement

Shouldn't be any problem, Just don't mention the cheater pipe.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive never had a problem if i dont tell em the truth about how i broke it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
big_al_71

there is no need to explain, the tool trucks that come here they just replace it if they dont have it they order it and bring it on the next visit...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Riiiiigggghhhhhhttttt....
So, let's assume I want to be honest about it, and if he asks me how it broke, I tell him I had a cheater pipe on it....is he going to refuse to replace it?

EDIT: Big_Al, we posted at the same time. Hopefully this guy will be as easy to deal with.

First I gotta get him to call me back...

Last edited by Tynee; 03-08-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

remember the quote no good deed goes unpunished.. tell him about the cheater pipe (even if he doesnt ask) then shell out the money for a new socket

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Tynee
I miss this truck.

That gets back to my original question. It wasn't "How do I get Snap-On to replace a tool I broke while I was abusing it?" The question was, "Is a cheater pipe abusing a breaker bar?"

I'm thinking it probably is, because you can apply more torque than the tool was designed to deliver to the fastener. But...that's why I asked, maybe they are designed to be the strongest link in the chain, and the fastener should snap before the tool, no matter how much torque is applied. If that is the case, then I haven't abused it at all.

I guess I should have just asked it that way to start with, that way nobody advises me to be less than honest, and nobody accusing me of trying to BE less than honest...

Last edited by Tynee; 03-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Indian113

the truth is YES it's abusing the tool if it's used in a situation not intended for it! But a good rep will exchange it for you as they are hoping you will buy more from them! that said I bought a set of Harbor Freight impacts to use in just that situation,I fiqured if I broke it I would replace the offending socket with a higher priced one!!!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Z-71

Yes, its abuse. That's why the handle isn't as long as it would be with a cheater pipe. But, you do the best with what you have. My Snap-On man doesn't care how it broke, abuse or not, you get a new one. He said snap on leaves it up to the dealers discretion about replacing tools. So, he doesn't care because he gets reimbursed when he sends the tools back. So basically the snap on warranty is at the discretion of the dealer.

97 Chevy K-1500 Ext. Cab Step Side
Tool box, bed rails
HPP III, K/N, Flowmaster
285 Maxxis Mudders

" If you can't drive the nail, get a bigger hammer" ( translation- Anything can be done with more power)
Z-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks, everybody, for your input.

Like I said above, none of this does any good if I can't get the guy to call me back.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
tommys69/454
1969 short box

I have a plastic container with a lid that I put broken tools in and keep it in my truck. When I see a Snap-on or mac truck at one of the local shops I just swing right in and do my exchanges.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the tool guys I deal with don't like to deal with DIYers. I suggest you take it to a shop for the next time Snappy comes (as in it belongs to a tech). I have a few buddies I do this for.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
fiddy9apache

is it wrong my snap-on guy comes by my house also lol. my tool guy has a long handle 3/8 fine tooth thats bent with the drive broke off but the teeth are perfect and still works fine.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Z-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy9apache View Post
is it wrong my snap-on guy comes by my house also lol. my tool guy has a long handle 3/8 fine tooth thats bent with the drive broke off but the teeth are perfect and still works fine.
Ha ha, nah, if i can't get up with my snap on man in the daytime i go to his house in the evening. Sometimes its better that way because he has way more tools in storage at his house than he could possibly haul in any of his trucks.

97 Chevy K-1500 Ext. Cab Step Side
Tool box, bed rails
HPP III, K/N, Flowmaster
285 Maxxis Mudders

" If you can't drive the nail, get a bigger hammer" ( translation- Anything can be done with more power)
Z-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
the tool guys I deal with don't like to deal with DIYers. I suggest you take it to a shop for the next time Snappy comes (as in it belongs to a tech). I have a few buddies I do this for.
I haven't met a tool dealer yet who doesn't dislike dealing with DIY'er's. They prefer the guys who are willing to finance a $15,000 tool storage system, and then another $20,000 in tools to fill it with, in their first month on the job.

I wonder how often that backfires when bubba realizes he doesn't really like being an automotive techinician after all?