The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
bluesfella

Question Adding headrests? -OR- Newer seats w/belts

So, my brother and his family were in a pretty bad wreck this week, hit from behind by a drunk driver. Thank God the whole family is fine, the kids were in their carseats, so they weren't injured at all. My brother and his wife have really bad whiplash, though. Thankfully, they will be fine other than being really sore for a whlie.

Anyway, I've been using my truck as a daily driver while I'm working on my '55 (my normal daily). While sitting at a stop light yesterday, I got to thinking about what would happen if I got hit from behind. With only a lap belt and no headrest, it would not be pleasant.

Three point belts are already in my future, I've already figured out how to do that from this forum! My problem now is headrests. I realize they look kind of dorky in these trucks, but I want to make my truck safer than it is now.

So - is it possible to add headrests to the stock bench seat (maybe even make them removable)? Or would it be better to just find a split bench seat from a late model truck with headrests (and seatbelts) built right in? If I went that route, I'd have them upholstered to match the original style...

Opinions? I've seen a few folks swap in later seats into their trucks - what years work best?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Adding headrests? -OR- Newer seats w/belts

The newer seat idea would probably be the preferred method for a daily driver, and there are quite a few threads on seat selection under the search feature.

If you do an eBay search under "headrests" there are pages of hits. Some look relatively easy to adapt to just about anything.

For something a little more hokey, Cal Custom offered some cool metalflake cylinder shaped accessory headrests back in the 60's. They come up on eBay every so often. A customizers trick back in the 60's show trucks was to make a custom "pad" that matched the seat upholstery and attach it to the back wall behind the head of the driver and passenger (small back window only obviously). If done right they can look pretty cool and offer protection at the same time, but would probably only look good on a truck built in that style.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Bugeyev8

I have a 98-01 Dodge Ram set in my 62 with belts and center console/seat with pull out cup holders
Attached Images

Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Glad to hear that your family is ok.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
astrochimp

The late 80's Gm bench fits pretty good, should only have to drill 2 holes.

Link to photo of mine
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...urrent=012.jpg

Most headrest lift out, so you could remove for show.
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
jack SF

i drive my 8 and 10year olds in my truck so i replaced my bench with a set of seats and belts out of a 2007 toyota.
it works. but its been a year and i am getting tired of the look and i regret doing it. it just does not look correct.

i am going to keep the shoulder belts and try to install headrest onto an original bench in the next month or so.

keep us posted on the headrests. and if i ever get mine done i will post them here.
jack SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
bluesfella

Yeah, I think that I may try the newer seats, but eventually have them upholstered to look more era-friendly. Maybe tuck and roll? Nah, that probably wouldn't look right, but I bet if done correctly, they could be made to look nice.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
mckeagplm

Bugeyev8, I want to do samething with 98-01 seat. What all on the seat did you haft to modify to get it to work? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mckeagplm; 03-11-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: for got something
mckeagplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

Late 80's and 90's seats work well like said above. And you only have to redrill the rear holes. They probably can be covered to look period correct. I am thinking about getting this one recovered and using it in my soon to be daily driver and getting the older version in the weekend truck. Boy do I hate that interior now.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 03-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote