The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Fixed oil gauge problem!

Took a chance today and contacted the one salvage yard in town. Typically they do not have old iron anymore but today I discovered they did have an 87 & 85 squarebodies buried in the back somewhere. Claimed they had parked them there years ago because they were too nice to be so old to crush as complete non-running parts trucks.

Since this is not an "open" yard, they pulled the gauge cluster from the 85 for me. Only problem was the oil gauge needle was broken!

So $20 later, instead of the original $45 price due to the broken gauge, I had the 'new' cluster.

After the day job I purchased and installed the brass for the extension needed and the electric oil sender. Plugged in my old cluster and the oil gauge failed again to respond. Swapped it to the new cluster,exchanging it for the one with the broken needle, and "Houston, we have ignition!" or in this case oil pressure at the gauge!

Now the cluster has a fresh coat of chrome drying with reassembly after work tomorrow maybe. Still want to clean up the mess of wires in the firewall area and install a radio before putting it back together. But it is nice to see it work!

So thanks again for the advice from the experienced for my inexperience and to the forum for the search engines. While I do tell my kids I am older than dirt this truck project has reminded me how I still enjoy learning! Definitely this forum continues to be invaluable as I do learn more each day on this 'new' old 85 C-30 truck in rehab project.

Some pics of what was and what now works and my favorite color...chrome, even in paint form!:

Been a good day!

Mark
Old:

New:

It works!

Chrome paint

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-16-2010 at 10:22 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Fixed oil gauge problem!

very nice...what kind of chrome paint did you use...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
RuralRoute C-30

Re: Fixed oil gauge problem!

Thanks,
Was Rustoleum "Bright Coat" "Metallic Finish".

Basically just looked for the shiniest chrome cap when I stopped in Lowes today. Usually I am terrible trying to spray bomb anything. This actually went on smooth and came out nice.
Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote