The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

and moving right along.....

Yeah right HA! I've never taken so long to morph something and be so unenthused about it!

the 434 is sitting in place, motor plate built and fitted, the TH400 in place but need to fab and add new tabs to the frame for the rear X-member. Ripped the ProStick out and have the old Mallory ignition box out of the interior. Started gutting the electrical to re-wire with a ARC touch panel,,, need to re-plumb the fuel system with new return style regulator, and step it all up to an-8... need to plumb and mount a trans cooler (old was just 2 flow through pancakes, new is a Derale w/ a built in fan,,, but that's all the easy stuff.
So far, looking good..

Have the Headman Hussler weld-up kit and adapter flanges to build the 1-7/8" headers. THIS is going to be a challenge!!! Even with dumping the side motor mounts in favor of a front motor plate there is still not a lot of room to fish 4 big tubes down through there....

Passengers side appears offers a touch more room because I had trimmed the frame for the old SuperComps. But once the starter is on it is going to be just as tight as the drivers side.

Oh well, that's progress so far!
What is it we always say???

If it were easy.........

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 03-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
shortbed70

Re: and moving right along.....

What are you going to do about hood clearance?

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Marv D

No problem with hood clearance. In fact,,, that scuff on the firewall is from the air cleaner lid of the last combination (SuperVictor, 4150 and a 14x4"" filter) . Will probably take 4" of airpan foam to seal the box to the little 2" cowl hood! Lots and lots of room

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
nxtruck

Marv, you should have plenty of room to fish 1 7/8" pipes down between the frame and the motor. That's what size I run on mine. They do, however, bend sharply right off of the adapter plate. Mine were a custom made set by Tom Dawson Racing Headers in Ca. I did have to notch a small section on the RH framerail to get them to fit. Looking at it now, I'd have room for a set of 2" primaries if the engine warranted them.
Good luck with building yours, and thanks for the update!!
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
wheatlandbrawler

hey marv did you make your inner fender inserts? or buy em? i want to make my own you wouldnt happen to have some different angled pictures of them would you? thanks if its not a problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
shortbed70

Would that fit under stock hood?

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

Big Red Dog build
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
regan wilson

That looks good Marv !
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
djracer

What ignition you gonna run? I might be able to get you a deal if you don't have it yet.

That think looks good in there even if it a small block.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Marv D

Thanks guys, still LOTS of issues to deal with. The thing would easily be capable of S/ST if the cage was legal, so slowing things down below 11.50 and above 12.0 is the 'challenge'

Chris, do you have any pictures of the headers.. I'd LOVE some hint of how the heck I'm going to do this. Am just about to start cutting tube of this Hustler weld-up package and would like to keep the stupid bend welds to a minimum if possible. But I can see whacking the tubes off about 14" in front of the slip collectors and working from scratch!!!! I was smart enough to order the stub flanges welded to the header flange. I'll also have to mill the top of the adapter flange down to clear the rocker gasket rail on the AFR 220 heads. OR pull the motor back apart and mill the gasket flange on the heads... I think NOT!!!

Wheatland, I made my own years ago. I'll get some better picts. The things need refurbishing BIG TIME.

Kevin, I took a MSD digital 6 out of the Nova when I went to the 7531 box. I've had this complete 6 sitting on the shelf for a couple of years just 'knowing' someday it was going to be used again. I have a Mallory Comp9000 distributor and Hyfire 985 digital box I just took out of this thing so I'll be looking for a home for ignition parts again myself.

ANYBODY have any pictures / ideas on putting a linkage type throttle stop on a tunnelram. The linkage isn't real friendly in finding ANY way to fit the stupid air ram in there. Won't fit in the bellcrank at the intake bolts, won't fit under the dash at the pedal..... Guessing I'm building the ram in the middle of the linkage rod somehow???
Whole new dark territory for me. I'm lost!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
limitedstreetoutlaw

Boy that engine looks good Marv D
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
nxtruck

Marv,
I'll try to take some pics of the headers tomorrow or Sunday and post them here. As far as you having to mill the tops of the adapter flanges, that kinda stinks. I run an older set of AFR 227s on mine and I didn't have to do anything to my adapter flanges. My flanges are for the Hooker pattern and not the Stahl pattern and maybe that's where they're different.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
regan wilson

Marv I have 2 ts-10 dedenbear stops that I shortened on mine . I run them with one soleniod that i ported out so it would release air quicker . I never could make one work before the bellcrank . If you want to talk , pm your phone number and I'll call you .
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #13
Marv D

Regan, I ordered the TS-30 and another CC3 thinking the TS30 ram would be large enough, and being the double solenoid. But it sounds like you have already done the R&D here.. I do VERY Much appreciate the offer and will get with you. I'm gone to Speedworld tomorrow for a race and taking grandkids out with the RZR's Sunday. I'll PM when I'm back, and 'sane' .

I thought the TS30 might have enough 'ooompfh' to work on the throttle rod. Sounds like I ought to just use that as a starting line controller on my Nova (still trying to learn how to cross over) That box is just WAY too smart!!!! Cross-over, twice at your tree, second chance, bump up bump down, TS controller, shift controller, push a button to switch between pro tree full tree.... sheeeze. Just mind boggling so I use the CC-3 in the Nova for top bulb delay and shift timer. Getting spanked bad with the inconsistent lights of being the quicker car (and distracted).

Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
nxtruck

Marv,
Here's some pics I took this afternoon. Sorry they're not the best. That's what happens when you've got a cheap camera. Hopefully you can get some kind of idea as to how to route yours.

Last edited by nxtruck; 03-13-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Marv D

THANKS Chris, that gives me a great frame of reference to start from.
Looks like opening up the top of the frame rail on the passengers side is SOP to make anything fit. I had to even top get a set of 1-5/8" tubes through. I think I'll just get ahead of the game and open the drivers site up some before I even start here. It's not like there is a shortage of frame material in these things!!!!

Thanks again

Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
nxtruck

No problem Marv. I hope they help you out. Sorry the quality couldn't have been better. Yeah, you may as well go ahead and do some clearancing to the rails before you get too far. I'm surprised that you had to notch for 1 5/8" tubes, though. It wasn't until I went with these 1 7/8" headers that I had to notch the frame.
Anyhow, hope this helped some and good luck with yours!!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Marv D

Well things have came to a grinding halt. My wife has some medical issues and is taking up more and more time. I have about 1/2 of one side done (reads: two stinking tubes) Between the Dr appointments, work, grand kids, and just everything else in general,, I just don't have the time to get knee deep into this header building crap!!! (what a PITA!!!) So taking the truck to Phx to have a fabricator finish the headers. I'm stuck,, can't go any further until the headers are done,, sooooo, Off it goes. Besides,, he is going to charge me less than the stinking die would have cost me to 'tweak' some of these tubes so there aren't welds every 3 or 4 inches!!!!

BTW...
Wheatland, and Regan,,, PM's sent

Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
shortbed70

Good luck with the wife hope things are ok. I cant wait for your truck to be done.

Big Red Dog build