The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

A little help with an Air Compressor?

I have aquired a Campbell Hausfield 60 gal, 11.7@40, 125 max, cast iron pump compressor. used, evidently built in 2000.

It looks like a plug or something is missing on the lower left, and a muffler? or filter? at the top? What do I need to get for this?

The wiring is a little scary, what kind of switch am I looking for to straighten this out, and are all the wires connected correctly?

Tag on motor:

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Re: A little help with an Air Compressor?

My panel is a little "busy" already,

so I want to wire it into my MIG welder outlet, and only use one or the other, never have both running at the same time. This is a 3 prong plug, pretty sure it's 230v, on a 30 amp breaker. the compressor is 1.5hp,60hz, "V115/208-230" what does this mean? looks like it may be 115 volt? The Campbell hausfield tag says it's wired for 240v/15A/60hz/1ph.

I see I need to line the motor up better with the pump.

So what size romex do I need to get, and how should I wire it up? It'll be around 60' of wire altogether.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 03-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
BarryB

Looks to me your going to need a pressure switch. That lower spot is for your oil fill, it should be just a plug or an actual dipstick. You'll need at least a 10/2 romex with a 30a double pole breaker. In your panel you can get a couple piggy back breakers in order to make room for the breaker for the air compressor.
How much wiring can you do on your own? What you need to do is take the 10/2. It goes into the the pressure switch box. two conductors white and black go to the terminals in the PS box. take the ground to the ground screw in the PS box. to be on a safer side I would run BX/MC cable from the panel to a small junction box, then run a short run of NMC to the compressor itself. I have on mine a piece of so cable with a 220 plug end on it. That way I can unplug my compressor and plug my welder into the same recepticle. I'm not that all that far from you. Send me a PM, I'll PM my number if you have any other questions.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 03-28-2010 at 11:17 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Looks to me your going to need a pressure switch. That lower spot is for your oil fill, it should be just a plug or an actual dipstick. You'll need at least a 10/2 romex with a 30a double pole breaker. In your panel you can get a couple piggy back breakers in order to make room for the breaker for the air compressor.
How much wiring can you do on your own? What you need to do is take the 10/2. It goes into the the pressure switch box. two conductors white and black go to the terminals in the PS box. take the ground to the ground screw in the PS box. to be on a safer side I would run BX/MC cable from the panel to a small junction box, then run a short run of NMC to the compressor itself. I have on mine a piece of so cable with a 220 plug end on it. That way I can unplug my compressor and plug my welder into the same recepticle. I'm not that all that far from you. Send me a PM, I'll PM my number if you have any other questions.
I'll google the term, but I'm not familiar with it.

I wired all the overhead fluorescent lights,(on a 3way cuircut that turns them on or off from either of 2 switches), overhead wall receptacles, and the welder receptacle. But I'm no electrician, I just ask for help, and/or look it up on the 'net, and make real sure I know what I'm gonna do before I touch anything.

Done, thanks!

I think it has the pressure switch, 1st photo TDC of the tank.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 03-28-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
BarryB

Yeah I see it after a second look, The cover is missing correct? Best thing I can do for now is get some pics of how I have mine hooked so you can go from there. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
truckdude239

your missing the air filter on that side

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
cableguy0

OK it looks like that motor can run on either 110 or 220. currently wired for 110. You want it wired for 220. it will be more efficient. The missing piece on top is the air filter so a bunch of trash doesnt get run through the pump. I would imagine somebody might have changed the electric motor out at some point which is why the tags conflict. The hole at the bottom is the oil fill. normally theres a screw on cap if the motor has a sight glass for oil level.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
OK it looks like that motor can run on either 110 or 220. currently wired for 110. You want it wired for 220. it will be more efficient. The missing piece on top is the air filter so a bunch of trash doesnt get run through the pump. I would imagine somebody might have changed the electric motor out at some point which is why the tags conflict. The hole at the bottom is the oil fill. normally theres a screw on cap if the motor has a sight glass for oil level.
Wire it like the "hi volt" side of the tag, right?

I found the manual and a parts list online, gonna call and see about getting the filter and dipstick. I think I understand the wiring now, thanks for your help guys.

I noticed the tube from the compressor to the tank was loose in the compression fittings, I can fix that easy enough. Looks like this compressor may have led a somewhat hard life, hope the PO didn't kill it. I know it ain't the best one made, but it should do what I need if I can get it running, and it was cheap.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
cableguy0

Thats actually a decent compressor as far as output. It will run anything you hook to it. Yea if you wire it like it shows on the high volt side you should be good to go. Just get those crimp connectors outta there on the wiring and do it properly and tie it into a box.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Thats actually a decent compressor as far as output. It will run anything you hook to it. Yea if you wire it like it shows on the high volt side you should be good to go. Just get those crimp connectors outta there on the wiring and do it properly and tie it into a box.
I have one similar to that one, been doing good for me for few years now. yes definitely wire it for 220v. But what gets me is it is only a 1.5 hp motor. Mine has a 5 hp motor. Hey If that motor does turn out to be bad I have a couple electric motors sitting on my shelf from compressors I've parted out. I'd have to check the HP rating.

Two rules in life.

Last edited by BarryB; 03-29-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
fixit-p

Holy crap don't plug that thing in, it's kind of wired for low voltage except the green wire (ground) is connected to wires T3, T6 and P2 it looks like.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
cableguy0

The motor was definately swapped at some point. Even if you were to have to buy a new one. You would still be in good shape. I believe that compressor sells for in the 800 dollar range.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
ERASER5

That little fork connector is bad juju. Get rid of it.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote