The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
sixbangr

safe way to r&r front coils?

what is the best way to r&r the front coils ? Without special tools?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: safe way to r&r front coils?

There are probably as many opinions on this subject as there are forum members, but I still do it the chicken way with a spring compressor and a safety chain wrapped between the spring and the lower control arm. Spring compressors aren't all that expensive, and many auto parts store make them available as a rental. A lot of guys just separate the lower ball joint and release the pressure by lowering the jack, not even using a safety chain, but the idea of getting hit with a flying spring just doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
S-31

I just did mine last week. I put the truck up with jack stands under the frame, after getting the wheels off i put the jack under the lower control arm to where it was just touching the arm. Next i took the 2 u-bolts out that hold the control arm to the frame and then eased the jack down letting pressure off the spring. Take the old spring out, put the new one in and jack the control arm back in place and bolt it iup. I did this to keep from damaging the ball joint in any way and only took about 30 minutes per side. No special tools needed.
S-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
P_A

I wrap a chain around the frame and thru the spring for safety and take the control arm loose at the frame and lower with a jack.
1972 Camaro
P_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
JRBECK64

If you jack the frame up high enough and put a Chain from the jack to the frame then jack up the lower A Arm so when you seperate the upper ball joint that it doesnt explode on you. Then slowly lower the jack until the pressure is relieved on the spring and it will fall out. Do just the opposite to install it. My Sons and I did this on the 69 Long fleet we are building now and it worked great. Probably the best way to do this is to get a spring compressor but if its not in your budget the method I described above will work. The Idea that someone above put down about attaching a chain around the sring from the frame is probably not a bad idea as well. Good Luck

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
BMSJaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-31 View Post
I just did mine last week. I put the truck up with jack stands under the frame, after getting the wheels off i put the jack under the lower control arm to where it was just touching the arm. Next i took the 2 u-bolts out that hold the control arm to the frame and then eased the jack down letting pressure off the spring. Take the old spring out, put the new one in and jack the control arm back in place and bolt it iup. I did this to keep from damaging the ball joint in any way and only took about 30 minutes per side. No special tools needed.
I was recommended this way as well. Havnt done it yet but seems the simplest
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

Quote:

Thats how I did mine, and it works great......I could not get the spring compressor to work on my springs, since there is hardly any room.....

I think I needed another type compressor...

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
halfcockedcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
If you jack the frame up high enough and put a Chain from the jack to the frame then jack up the lower A Arm so when you seperate the upper ball joint that it doesnt explode on you. Then slowly lower the jack until the pressure is relieved on the spring and it will fall out. Do just the opposite to install it. My Sons and I did this on the 69 Long fleet we are building now and it worked great. Probably the best way to do this is to get a spring compressor but if its not in your budget the method I described above will work. The Idea that someone above put down about attaching a chain around the sring from the frame is probably not a bad idea as well. Good Luck

JRBECK64
just done it this way,,not 30 min. ago

Last edited by halfcockedcustoms; 04-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.
halfcockedcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
robby5323

Quote:
This is how I always do mine....
robby5323 is offline   Reply With Quote