The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Long n' Low GMC

Question GMC/Chevy Grill swap

Im looking for the whole exterior grill setup for my 64 GMC. Its a full ton truck and was a lil bent when i bought it, to straighten and or putty it would be to much work. Whta sort of problems would i face if i bought a Chevy grill instead of the Original GMC.
I want the Stock GMC, but im tight on money, so im gonna take what i can find. So If you can tell me what i'd have to swap out or change to make it work, please, FILL ME IN!
Long n' Low GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: GMC/Chevy Grill swap

all you should have to do is drill a hole on each side for the inside bolt, the 2 out side bolt holes should match up.
If you use a grille off a big truck, series 60-80 you would have to change the headlight brackets, because they are angled on series 10-40, and straight on the others, but that could be another source to look at for a gmc grille.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Long n' Low GMC

Well, im heading to Spring Carlisle 2010, so im sure I could find either grill, im just worried about finding them in my price range. With the chevy grill going from 4 lights to 2 would there be any need to change the wiring? Im gonna try my best to just Find it all with the wiring if I can, but theres no Gurantee. So i know if I got the Chevy grill i'd atleast need the wiring to the Gromet, but would I need to sawp it out clear back to the cab?
Long n' Low GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Oklahoma

On my 62 C-10 I replaced the original grill with one out of a GMC, because I wanted 4 lights instead of 2. I pluged it into the factory grommet in the core support and wham, bam, thank you mam, the high beams and low beams work just like they should.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The wiring won't be a problem going from 4 lights to 2, since the low beam lamps already have dual filaments, you could just plug those in to the new bulbs and not use the sockets from the inner high beam bulbs. Or as Oklahoma says above just grab the 2 headlamp harness (if available) and plug it into the bulkhead connector.

In addition to the grille, you're also going to need the headlight buckets and backing assemblies if you're going from 4 lights to 2. It might be easier if you could find a 60-61 Chevy grille that originally came with 4 lights.