The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
IndyAnne

Re: Wacky ignition switch behavior

ChevTech,
You asked:

>>If you want more photos let me know if you have a tilt column or not.

I do have the tilt column.

And, in checking out the wiring for the stereo, I will get back to you about that if it's ok. I have the Chilton and Haynes books with the circuits, and a sheet that identifies the correct colors of wires that came with the original stereo system. As far as those books go with circuits, I'll be ok, but, I know they don't get into specific components and where they are located. That's all part of my learning curve -- like climbing Pike's Peak with my eyes closed :-)

The wiring has been quite messed up. I've removed a bird's nest of after-market wires from under the hood with connections to the alternator and the battery. There is a plate of spaghetti in the cab inside the dash, with lots of wiring clipped in all sorts of ways, hanging loose, but I haven't identified what's live and what's not. With the carpet out and the interior trim all removed, I can see where amps and woofers and such were bolted into the sheet metal of the floor, walls, and frame of the cab. Poor thing.

Come to think of it, perhaps all the broken glass chips I'm finding inside, and every time I open the door on the driveway, maybe someone broke in and stole a previous owner's system. It looks very careless and hastily done to me.

My stereo is not going to be one of those big loud systems, just a simple tuner connecting to the four speakers, that I also have to replace, using average 4x6 speakers. It has a CD player, but I expect I'll mostly be plugging in my iPod when I'm not listening to good ol' FM radio.

A mechanic at the salvage store helped me identify the after market wiring under the hood, but I have not yet tried to label everything that should be there for the stock stereo system. I'm hoping I can follow the schematics and keep everything in order when I get to that project.

Thanks for anticipating those potential disasters!

I'm not going for an Overhaulin' kind of outcome here, just want a safe and comfortable yard-working truck that will haul the Airstream to the parks.

I don't even know yet how the engine and transmission will handle towing the Airstream, but that's going to be another thread ...
1988 Chevy K1500 Silverado, 2-door extended cab, long bed, 350 5.7 gas, automatic transmission, built in Canada
http://web.me.com/agm57/IndyAnnes_Bi...vy/Photos.html
Tow vehicle for 1968 Airstream Trade Wind
http://web.me.com/agm57/IndyAnnes_Ai...os/Photos.html
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote