The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
McC_65_91

Parking brake cables

so ive got a 65 GMC 4x4 long bed. I posted up about this a while ago but I cant find the thread. I was told by many to go to inlinetube.com i did this they have a front and back cable, but on their site it says complete kit includes intermediate cable, connectors, equilizer, clips and hooks if required, however they dont offer a complete kit for the 65 4x4 longbed.

Im sure I could make clips and hooks and find connectors, but what about intermediate cable and equilizer? The guy I talked to at inline said look underneath to see what i have left because not all vehicles use them, but the PO literally took out every bit of the cable, (probably in an attempt to start the job than couldn't find the right parts). LMC has a 2wd cable which does need an intermediate cable. so im assuming the 4x4 does also? any thoughts? advice? thanks in advance
McC_65_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Parking brake cables

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=391465

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

We are in the process of frame-off's on a '66 K10 and '66 K20, both having factory e-brake set-ups with factory divorced transfer cases & SM420 4-speeds. Here is a photo of the intermediate pivot assembly, which includes the frame brackets, pivot, swivels & rear cables.

The cable originates at the e-brake pull handle on the left underside of the dash, through the firewall, along the driver side frame rail, to this assembly, where it splits into left and right, to the backing plates. There is the primary cable, that attaches to the lever end of this pivot assembly and the two cables to each rear hub, for a total of three cables. Each cable has factory ends, so making them, although possible, would be a bit difficult, since when engaged, they are under a lot of tension.

We may have a few complete set-ups in our inventory, if you need any parts to complete your factory e-brake assembly.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
maxwoof

I would be very interested to know where these cables can be located. I have a '62 3/4 4x4 with a similar set up as in the picture. My PO took off everything. I fabricated something using bx cable as for an outer cable, and used cables from other trucks with compression ends, but it really isn't right. Also, I need the actuating levers that attach to the drums. The 3/4 4x4 has 12" brakes, and the levers from the two wheel and 1/2's don't work. Any help would be appreciated.
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote