The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Streudels68

Question Disc brake conversion

I'm getting ready to do a disc brake conversion on my 1968 Chevy c-10. I've priced a few kits and have come to the conclusion that my best bet is going to be to go with LMC and buy the disc brake kit, the front end rebuild kit, AND the drop spindle kit. #1 Does anybody know of any other companies that offer similar products at reasonable prices? This stuff is expensive! Not to mention the fact that I guess I need a brake booster and proportioning valve. Is there a particular proportioning valve I need to use or can I pick one up at any auto parts store? Any advice for locating those at a reasonable price would be appreciated as well. I plan on picking up a rear end at a local junkyard to convert it to the five bolt pattern (They wouldn't sell the axles alone). To top it all off, I need some wheels too!

In case anybody is interested, if I go with LMC, I'll be getting a brand new set of stock height front and rear coil springs with the front end rebuild kit. If anybody knows someone who would like to trade some drop springs for those let me know! I couldn't believe that LMC wouldn't let me pick the freakin' springs I wanted!
Streudels68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Disc brake conversion

www.classicperform.com
www.earlyclassic.com
www.performanceonline.com
and MANY others. search this site and you'll get a ton of info, not to mention all the board vendors here, and the vendors I've posted will let you pick any spring you want.

Summit has axles to convert in case you can't find a 71-72 5 lug rear - they are Moser axles, pn MSR-A3065GMT5 here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSR-A3065GMT5/ the vendors above also offer their own 5 lug conversion kits with new rear brake drums to complete the conversion.

I got CPP spindles and booster, some drilled/slotted zinc plated rotors on eBay with calipers from Performance Online, and got the Moser rear axles from Summit. My setup is a hodgepodge of a bunch of different stuff, with rear disc brakes from a '95 Z28 and '96 Impala SS rotors...

As you'll find if you do a search, the cheapest way by far is to find a 73-87 C10 in the junk yard and get the entire front crossmember and brake setup, then just get some drop spindles and bolt it all up to your '67 frame. It's pretty much a direct swap. Even the booster will work - I had one on my truck with the stock drum brakes before I started my frame off restoration.

Of course you can also buy 6 lug disc brake conversion kits for the front and not even have to worry about swapping the rear out or getting new wheels (in most cases).

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 06-05-2010 at 12:39 AM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
chevyblazer

chepeast way is that one newer crossmember or im not shure but y think 88-98spindle will fit your original ball joints y think a freind had a 6 lug just put the 88-98 spindle and he said that fit
Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
jmnjn1

I am also looking to change to disc in front but remain 6 lug all the way around and keep drums in back. So do i just buy the rotors, calipers and connect to existing power booster? What else would be required? Sorry didnt mean to hyjack the thread.
Thanks
jmnjn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Deaol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyblazer View Post
chepeast way is that one newer crossmember or im not shure but y think 88-98spindle will fit your original ball joints y think a freind had a 6 lug just put the 88-98 spindle and he said that fit
You'll need 3/4ton lower control arms if you go the 88-98 route using the 88-98 upper/lower joints.
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Streudels68

I appreciate the information. I wouldn't mind swapping cross members since I'm sure the 73-87 would provide a lot more clearance than those on 67-72 Chevys. I think I could probably do it, but I run into the problem of facilities and equipment to do it! Hell I don't know. Anyway, thanks again
Streudels68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnjn1 View Post
I am also looking to change to disc in front but remain 6 lug all the way around and keep drums in back. So do i just buy the rotors, calipers and connect to existing power booster? What else would be required?
I'm not aware of any 6 lug conversion that works with your stock spindles. The easiest route would be to get a kit that replaces everything from the spindles out, something like this one (similar kits are offered by other vendors).
http://www.performanceonline.com/196...IT-5-OR-6-LUG/

This will let you keep your stock ball joints and steering linkage. In addition, you will need a disc/drum MC and prop valve.

If your time is cheaper than your money, definitely go with the crossmember swap. You will still need to buy the 6 lug rotors, as those are an aftermarket-only part.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
jmnjn1

Thanks for the info Ray, sounds like the kit from performance is the easier way to go.
jmnjn1 is offline   Reply With Quote