The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
hobby67stepside

Power steering question

It's been 3 or 4 years since I have posted here. Maybe some of the old timers will remember me if they happen to read this one. I did a major rebuild of a 67 short box stepside, 454, Muncie 4 speed, Auburn Gear rear end - total restoration. Pickup was originally a 6, 3 speed. I did all the heavier duty things - front springs for big block, 1" front sway bar, 2 1/2" dropped front spindles (most of these parts from a company in LA that you all know of and I can't remember the name of it). I also used a power steering sector from a 74 3/4 ton. When I drive this the steering is so sensitive it is almost scary (hate to use that word). When I get on it the engine power almost seems to steer it and any direction it wants to! I wouldn't think with posi it would do this but maybe its combination of posi and power steer. My question is, would a PS from a half ton PU be less sensitive and make for an easier driving PU. Sorry for the long post. BTW I did shorten the spring in PS pump to lessen pressure. Didn't make any diff. Thanks in advance for advice.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa

Last edited by hobby67stepside; 06-13-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: correction
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
RichardJ

Re: Power steering question

Sounds more like the axle is moving around under the frame and I'm sure you've checked the tire pressures. Assuming you have a coil spring rear I would be checking everything around the trailing arms.

By "power steering sector", you are talking about a Saginaw gear box that has a sector shaft inside of it?

As far as I know the 1/2 and 3/4 are the same for given years. The Classic Industries catalog lists them as "C" series all the same and "K" (4wd) series all the same. There were optional fast ratio boxes in the '68-76 with flanged hoses and again in the newer boxes with the "O" ring hoses.
I originally put a regular box in my '67 and later replaced it with fast ratio "O" ring box. At speed there is little difference, but for low speed manuvering it is great.
I should include that my truck is long wheelbase and the truck it came out of was very long with 4drs and long utility bed.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote