The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #26
BlazinC5

Re: Never top off with gas?

Hate to tell ya squirrel, But it seems to me that your not going to find the prob till you take it apart again.. One of 3 things come to mind rite now. The float, the gauge, or the wiring. and because the gauge reads half or more all the time I dout its the wiring. The float may have a sticky spot, but that wouldn't explain the gauge going clear past full. As so I would lean towards the gauge beeing your problem. But I wouldn't rule out the float assy. If I remeber you also have an aftermarket gauge setup. so I don't know if it operates off the same paramiters as the stock setup. Assuming it does, talk to some of the locals and locate a gauge to see if it funtions properly. If it funtions in the same manner as yours, the float assy must be the prob. If your goint ot pull the float out. I think it may be easiest to just pull the box off with how that tiny lil tank of yours is put in. It may seem like more work to pull the box, but in reallity it isn't. its better than wrestling a fuel tank from under your truck that you have no idea how much gas is in it. perfect exuse for having some buddies over to talk trucks. Later bubby
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #27
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinC5 View Post
Hate to tell ya squirrel, But it seems to me that your not going to find the prob till you take it apart again.. One of 3 things come to mind rite now. The float, the gauge, or the wiring. and because the gauge reads half or more all the time I dout its the wiring. The float may have a sticky spot, but that wouldn't explain the gauge going clear past full. As so I would lean towards the gauge beeing your problem. But I wouldn't rule out the float assy. If I remeber you also have an aftermarket gauge setup. so I don't know if it operates off the same paramiters as the stock setup. Assuming it does, talk to some of the locals and locate a gauge to see if it funtions properly. If it funtions in the same manner as yours, the float assy must be the prob. If your goint ot pull the float out. I think it may be easiest to just pull the box off with how that tiny lil tank of yours is put in. It may seem like more work to pull the box, but in reallity it isn't. its better than wrestling a fuel tank from under your truck that you have no idea how much gas is in it. perfect exuse for having some buddies over to talk trucks. Later bubby
Remember when I use a jumper ground on the sensor post located at the tank the gauge reads empty. My money is the problem is in the tank.

Dropping the tank will be easy (pending getting the truck high enough to slide under there) all the bolts are new. I am sure the tank is empty as I ran it out of gas ... hence discovering the problem. I only put 1/2 gallon in it to get it the rest of the way home.

I don't feel very motivated to drop the tank. I am most likely going to live with it for a bit. The paperwork I have says the gauge and the sensor float assembly came as a set. I would have to replace both without knowing the manufacture.
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #28
BlazinC5

maybe sumthin is just stuck and you wouldn't have to replace stuff then. I say act like when we were younger and rally that thing... lol launch it off a few sidewalk curbs. it won't take much to hit them bump stops with your truck.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 AM   #29
Secret Squirrel

If I remember correctly rally = broken parts ... and I do not need more of those!
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #30
BlazinC5

I'm sure the guy who was mowing the feild behind your old place felt the same way when he busted his mower on your 1/2 drive rachet, you got mad at and threw over the garage roof.
It's good to know you learned from the experience of all them busted parts.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #31
Secret Squirrel

That ratchet had it coming ... sure did make me feel better. Uh ... until I needed it for another job.

No worries the truck runs so I'll just keep the tank full. Think of all the gas station attendants I will get to meet. I can ask them "Have you seen my Ratchet???"
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Last edited by Secret Squirrel; 06-24-2010 at 01:25 AM.