The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Holley Carb kicking my tailpipe!

I'll just throw out a few more things then I have to get on with my day.

First of all.....the part throttle and transition circut are the hardest to get right with a Holley. Your intake is not helping. You need a little Performer or Performer RPM for the street. Dual planes are very friendly down low. Also understand that diagnosis over a computer can be very hard where as leaning over the motor can get a quick solution to what is actually going on.

Do not worry about not seeing gas when you "ease" into the throttle. The shooter is fighting the velocity within the venturi. If the opening is slow enough, the booster and trans slot is usually good enough. Once again you have an intake that is not good down low. You list is supposed to have a 25 shooter but you can try a 28 or a 31. The 1850 did come with both a 25 and a 31 shooter in the later series carbs.

What are we running for jets in the front? Sometimes with a Holley you need to completely go through the carb and get it back to the stock settings in every way. Holley does a pretty good job of getting these pretty close out of the box. I have had 100's and 100's of Holleys run through my hands. I have seen everything. That carb should have 66's in the front. Sometimes that will be lowered based on someones elevation. My town is at 3,400 ft so things run a little fat and we have to step them down a little. Is this carb clean? Dirty?

Is your orange pump cam in the #1 or #2 position? It affects where at in the cam arc you are starting and ending your stroke. I actually like running the pink 3 hole cam in all my carbs and in the #1 position.

I realize this is hard to do. It's like asking someone on the internet "what's that noise?" lol

BTW....is this something that JUST started? Did you JUST get the truck? Have you had the bowls off? Did you do or consider a complete rebuild first?
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote