The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Just An Update, With Some 1/4 Mile Questions

So Guys, My Truck Is In The Paint Booth. It's Looking Beautiful. A Lot More Is Getting Done To The Truck, Due To The Fact I Just Got Out Of A 3 Year Relationship. All I Can Say Is For The Time Being My GMC Will Take Her Place. My GMC Will Never: Use,Cheat,Lie, And/Or Make My Life Hell.

That Being Said I Have Gotten Back With My Old Friends, We Have Been Doing The Midnight Drags At RMR. I'm Not Looking To Run Quick, I Just Want To Show Off My Nice Truck. I Have The 350 With The 4 Spd Manual.

Other Than Doing Exhaust, Carb, Plugs, Wires, Cap Etc

What Else Can I Do , To Help Bring The Times Down A Bit?

Again, I'm Doing It For My Friends, To Show Off My Pride And Joy Truck... I Just Hope It'll Be Under 20 Seconds.

Also Where Should I Set Red Line On My Tach?

I Have Never Pushed It As Far As Needing To Know, I Just Don't Want To Over Rev It On The Quarter.

I Mean I'm Used To Running 17.5 In A Bone Stock Accord, So Times Are Not An Issue, Lol. Although I Guess At This Altitude It Could Be Worse With The Rice Burner
Cw72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Just An Update, With Some 1/4 Mile Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cw72gmc View Post
So Guys, My Truck Is In The Paint Booth. It's Looking Beautiful. A Lot More Is Getting Done To The Truck, Due To The Fact I Just Got Out Of A 3 Year Relationship. All I Can Say Is For The Time Being My GMC Will Take Her Place. My GMC Will Never: Use,Cheat,Lie, And/Or Make My Life Hell.

That Being Said I Have Gotten Back With My Old Friends, We Have Been Doing The Midnight Drags At RMR. I'm Not Looking To Run Quick, I Just Want To Show Off My Nice Truck. I Have The 350 With The 4 Spd Manual.

Other Than Doing Exhaust, Carb, Plugs, Wires, Cap Etc

What Else Can I Do , To Help Bring The Times Down A Bit?

Again, I'm Doing It For My Friends, To Show Off My Pride And Joy Truck... I Just Hope It'll Be Under 20 Seconds.

Also Where Should I Set Red Line On My Tach?

I Have Never Pushed It As Far As Needing To Know, I Just Don't Want To Over Rev It On The Quarter.

I Mean I'm Used To Running 17.5 In A Bone Stock Accord, So Times Are Not An Issue, Lol. Although I Guess At This Altitude It Could Be Worse With The Rice Burner
I hear ya about the woman issues. You can park the truck and walk away. And the truck will be ready and waiting without complaint next time you need her.

My rule of thumb for a peppy chevy 350 is 5500-5600 RPM. A built one could easily exceed that. Though depending on your engine, for a truck, it might be better to keep it around 5200 if you have no idea of the history or how it's built. In stock form, these trucks make their power down low.

It should be a more exciting ride than the Honda. But don't expect wonders from that manual. If it's a truck trans, it won't help you in the 1/4 very much. The gearing isn't spaced well for that type of use.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 07-10-2010 at 01:57 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Yeah, And The Truck Won't Let Other People Drive Her While I'm At Work... If You Catch My Drift..

I know me and my friends always laugh at the amount of throw between gears.

It is a very low mileage original 350, only has 75k original. To Be Safe When I Got It I Had Compression Checked Because I Do Tow With It. The Compression Was Great.

I'll Set It Aroun 5 Then Just To Be Safe?

What Do You Think The 1/4 Time Would Be Stock?
Cw72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Irishpilot

If you are racing a stock 350, you have several factors which will limit your 1/4 mile times. First, you are racing a stock 30+ year-old engine, so you might find your engine's weak spots on the track. If you are cool with replacing parts as you break them, then have at it!

First, your stock engine's power band starts dropping off about 5000-5200 rpm. I would start by shifting at 5000 for a few runs, then shift at 5200 rpm. I wouldn't go much over 5500, and my guess is you'll find the sweet spot in the low 5k range. This is due to your stock heads and cam setup...they are meant for low power and don't breath well.

Does your truck have a limited slip diff, or is it the "one wheel wonder"? If you are only getting power to one tire, that will hurt your launch. I suggest a 1500 rpm launch at first, and raise/lower the launch rpm so as to not bog down at launch, or spin excessively.

Next, I don't know your truck's weight, nor the stock horsepower on your truck. Figure if your truck weighs around 5000 lbs and produces mid 200's hp, then I would say your truck will run 17-19 seconds.

I hope that helps, and keep asking questions and keep racing!
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote