The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Firebirdjones

Anyone replace a wiper motor???

I'm looking at this thing (under the dash of all places). Just like to hear some experiences and/or tips.

Were you able to access the linkage nut through the cowl or did you have to remove the cowl cover?

Does anyone know the difference between a 3 prong and a 4 prong wiper motor? I get asked that question at the parts stores. Looking at the harness under the dash, there is only a dual terminal flat spade connector on the wiper motor, if there is another terminal (or 2) it must have a single wire spade connector on it and I just can't see it up there.
I was hoping someone here would know the difference in the wiper motors,,,like maybe it had to do with another option that may or may not be on the truck?? That would be an easier way to tell rather than ripping this thing apart. I'd like to get the right one on order so I can swap it out with minimal down time.
Thanks.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Re: Anyone replace a wiper motor???

Sorry, I can't remember for sure on the connectors, but to access the linkage, you have to pull the cowl cover. Then its just a bolt and clip that holds the linkage on to the motor.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Firebirdjones

Thanks, I was hoping I didn't have to remove the cowl cover but I saw how far down inside the linkage nut is and figured it would have to be.
I just wish this wiper motor was out on the firewall,,,ugh.

Boy wiper motors have gotten a bit pricey since the last time I bought one.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
rsavage

You're right. I bought a reman unit from NAPA for my 70 pickup a year or so ago. Because it has AC, it was a pup to get at (remove ducting etc.). Put it all back together and it doesn't park like it is supposed to. I have to shut it off when they are at the bottom. I was not too happy but it wasn't worth doing it again as the only time that truck would be in the rain would be if I got caught in it by mistake. If I remember, the POS cost around $80 and it wasn't even new.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
71swb4x4

If you have nice paint throw some masking tape on the fender before you pull the cowl cover. I scratched my paint when I did mine. I was trying to reinstall it myself and I should have had someone helping me.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Thanks for the tips guys.

Ya the paints decent enough that I don't want to scratch it, which is why I wasn't excited when I found out the cowl cover had to come off. I'll have to tape it up and be carefull.

Ya I bought mine from Napa too. They were the only store that even had them in stock. Everyone else wanted a week to order it, so I paid more to have it now,,,and ya they are still $84 plus core. I'm hoping this one parks when I shut it off. Even the current motor, when it was working, didn't park all the way down. I had to grab the wipers and push them down when I was finished using them.

It has AC, and all that ducting will have to come out for sure. It's keeping me from even getting a good look at the motor. Which brought up another issue.
It seems there are 2 wiper motors for this thing. A 3 terminal and a 4 terminal. I don't know what's in the truck, and I can't pull it out just to check, still driving this thing daily. Napa had the 3 terminal in stock so I'm hoping that's it. I'll tear into it in a couple days and cross my fingers