The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
BuckLucky

Starting to work on my 72 again, need input.

So it has been awhile since I last worked on my 72 Blazer, but I got a little cash now and want to start collecting parts. Its been 2 year since I posted anything on here but here is a picture that may remind you guys of my blazer.

So Im trying to get what I can done with the 1200.00 that I have in my pocket now and am trying to get the most important stuff done so I can drive this thing safely.

ANyway , Just as a refresher I had put a 8 inch lift on with the dropped drag link, but want to go with the cross over steering . So since then the blazer has been parked , I havent done a thing. I was looking at Offroad designs webiste and seen there crossover steering kit for like $425.00 . Looks like I have to have my right side knuckle machined to work with the new steering arm. Other than that the onle other componet I need to get is a 2wd steering box. Oh and yes I have the flat top dana 44. Has anyone done this on there Blazer? Is this the best kit for the money or should I look elsewhere. Any input on this set up would be great and also the total cost of doing this conversion.

Next Question, My other major hurdle is the wiring. It has some issues, the fuse block was somewhat melted at one time but still "works" but isnt right. Im sure there are some burnt wires or something going on. I was going to replace all the underdash wiring and the engine compartment stuff also. Can anyone tell me if the Painless wiring kit (PN10206 18 Circuit GM Truck Chassis Wiring Harness 1967 - 1972) is the one I need for this wiring project? Will that cover all that I need to go to every componet under the hood and under the dash? Looks like I can get that harness for $367.00 through amazon If I remember right. Or should I look elsewhere for a different kit? ANything else I may need to look into doing other than just buying the new harness. I did upgrade to the HEI but does the harness work fo an HEI ?

The 3rd thing I need to upgrade was the brake lines. Any suggestion on where to get them and how much they will run . This is going to be a pavement pounder 90% of the time , maybee a cruise up in the woods on dirt roads looking for critters. Not building a wheeler.

The last thing I will be doing is the rust issues and I know you guys know all about that on these blazers. Looks like I got 1 maybee both rocker box's I will need to replace , both rockers , and floors for both sides. I will tackle that with the next wave of $$ when I sale off more projects like my 70 pro street el'camino.

Thanks for the tips and/or info. I have done searches on everything I asked about

So Im trying to get what I can done with the 1200.00 that I have in my pocket now and am trying to get the most importannt stuff done so I can drive this thing safely.
Attached Images

BuckLucky is offline   Reply With Quote