The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
72highlander
Sophomore Member

Shipping a truck

As some of you may have seen in this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415878 I bought this truck. I keep going back and forth on going to get it (12 hour drive each way and putting 600 miles on truck coming home) or having it shipped. Have any of you had one shipped? Who did you use? Was it in an open carrier or enclosed? I can't decide, but need to promptly. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on what I should do. Thanks!!!!

Frank

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Shipping a truck

Fine69 (Mike) hauls stuff around & he does excellent work.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

How much time and money do you have?

I've done it a couple of times and am now in the process of doing it again. Unless you know someone (I don't), it's pretty frustrating. I had contracted with a nationally known carrier to ship a Challenger from Detroit to OKC and after 3 weeks I just went to get it myself. I'm in week 2 of getting this current one done, and I'll probably go get it - 600 miles also.

If you do a Google search, you're going to get inundated with emails from brokers. Taking the low bid gets you nothing, and taking the high bid will get quick results. A lot of it appears to be luck in the sense of having a truck with a spot that's got your to/from along a route it's already taking. When you pay more, they'll go out o their way for you.

You might look into renting a trailer if you have the capability to pull it. That will keep the miles off it, or get ready to shell out $800 or so. It will be almost 50% more to get an enclosed shipment.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Field and Son

There is a lot to consider and for me all things considered it is better to have it shipped. You will spend $200 in gas, two days on the road, and then there is the possibility of either a breakdown or worse yet, some kind of accident. And all of this to save $200. Not worth it. Find a shipper and relax. I believe Mike fine69 to be good as well as many others. Put an ad on www.uship.com It is easy, fast, and you may be surprised how cheap and fast you may get it done.
Field and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
MVHandy

I had a nightmare time shipping with two of the middle range quotes going from Kansas City, MO to central NJ. After three weeks I searched again and worked with United Auto Movers out of Florida. About $100 more but the truck was picked up in 3 days as promised and delivered without a hitch. I recommended them to my boss and they got a pickup same day. I worked with Joe and Natalee and they were open and honest.
MVHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Just had a look at the Truck in question Frank and on looks alone that does not look like the kinda truck that is in the habit of breaking down, that said a quick check over before a long journey in any vehicle is in order, and hell if we start thinking we might have an accident as soon as we go on a journey we'd never drive anywhere....so I say drive it...where is that frontier spirit gone that all Americans once had? to hell with the Gas money it would be a great road trip, an adventure!. If it's a two day trip then pull over and stay at a motel, stick a coin in the slot and have the bed vibrate. And if worst comes worst and it does break down, well as long as you've got your "flexible friend" in your wallet you can have the breakdown truck take it the rest of the way home.

Oh! and take some pics on the way so you can post em up.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Fine69 (Mike) hauls stuff around & he does excellent work.
X2.5

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
fine69

PM sent.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
mcbassin
Still Learning

Probably a dumb question, but have you thought of flying to springfield and just doing the drive home? That way you only have to drive six hours. It may cost a little for a one way ticket. Just a thought.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
72highlander
Sophomore Member

Well, a couple of you guys nailed it on the head. I work long and hard and was just thinking what might be easy, but I badly need a vacation. I just booked two tickets for me and my 7 year old to fly to missouri and we are going to take the scenic route home driving the ol girl. I can't think of anything i'd rather do with my boy, and I know it will be a blast. I'll have my iphone so I will check in with you guys, and if need be I know I could post help needed and get a phone # asap from any number of great guys on this board. We will fly out saturday and start the journey home sunday. I can't wait. I'm so excited there's no way i'll sleep tonight. Thanks for all the comments and thanks to the guys who sent pm's with info and help. This site rocks!!!!

Frank

Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highlander View Post
Well, a couple of you guys nailed it on the head. I work long and hard and was just thinking what might be easy, but I badly need a vacation. I just booked two tickets for me and my 7 year old to fly to missouri and we are going to take the scenic route home driving the ol girl. I can't think of anything i'd rather do with my boy, and I know it will be a blast. I'll have my iphone so I will check in with you guys, and if need be I know I could post help needed and get a phone # asap from any number of great guys on this board. We will fly out saturday and start the journey home sunday. I can't wait. I'm so excited there's no way i'll sleep tonight. Thanks for all the comments and thanks to the guys who sent pm's with info and help. This site rocks!!!!

Frank
Frank this is a great idea. Take your time and enjoy it. Oklahoma scenery is great.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
no moa

Finding a shipper is tough up here. I shipped a boat from Maine to NY for the auction, it was $850. Its a 5 hour run. But the shipper came from tenn. Only guy the owner could find.
A friend just flew to SC and drove a truck home, his shipping estimate was $1000 for a 1 ton chevy single rear axle. He flew to SC one way, drove it home. $500.

Last edited by no moa; 08-13-2010 at 08:29 AM.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey, Just pm me when your rolling through central Oklahoma if you need any assistance. I would be glad to help.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
72highlander
Sophomore Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hey, Just pm me when your rolling through central Oklahoma if you need any assistance. I would be glad to help.
Thanks brother, I knew I could count on you guys if I need it. I'm on a few other forums, but nothing compares to the guys on this one.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
JJanzen

I just shipped a car from St. Louis to Denver and used UShip. They put it on a wire and transporters bid on hauling your vehicle. You will get all kinds from car haulers to enclosed trailers. Each person has a rating and feedback. I found an enclosed trailer for $ 70 more than an open car hauler. I had bids from St. Louis to Denver (800 + miles) from $ 400.00 to $ 1,000.00. The trucker I decided to go with, picked the car up within 3 days and had it here in 30 hours from pickup. He also communicated with me by phone along the way. Great experience...I would highly recommend going with this method.